George has severe jaw pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

George has been successfully reducing his Pred over 2 years and two and a half weeks ago he reached two and a half mg a day without apparent problem.

He saw his rheumatologist ten days ago. She added twenty mg of Hydrocortisone a day to his prescription.

She also gave him a Cortisone injection in his knee, for arthritis (which hasn't helped the arthritis pain, unfortunately!)

This morning he has sudden, very severe jaw pain that isn't responding to Paracetamol or a cold compress (he said he thought he'd prefer cold to warm).

I'm a bit worried, he's clearly in a lot of pain from his jaw, I'd be very greatful for any idea about what might be happening here?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

I see this was posted many hours ago. If you haven't contacted a doctor yet and the pain has persisted you really should get him to an emergency department, and make sure they know his history. Did he just have PMR or is he recovering from GCA? Also, could there be any dental issues? Is he on any osteoporosis drugs?

• Posted

I just found this message. Thank you, Anhaga, he has, at last, just gone for an emergency appointment to the dentist. He's been in constant pain for 2 days.

He was reluctant to do anything. We are in France - it's not so easy to know what to do here, and I'm not well at the moment - I called our nurses and asked for help, they said get emergency dental help.

George just has PMR, not GCA. He's not on anything special for osteoporosis, just some Calcium and Vit B.

But, he spent a week in hospital with a sudden very severe infection of a tooth last March, so I've been worried. They checked him there for GCA.

I'm very grateful for your response. I haven't used this forum since last winter and was surprised not to receive any responses this time - is the forum still being used? It's been such a great help and support during George's illness.. good wishes

• Posted

People have left this forum or check in only occasionally since they changed it and it is harder to use. Although some improvements were made they were too few and too late. 😦 Most people are now using the healthunlocked forum.

• Posted

had same problem. dentist friend recommended a chiropractor. not all do that but found one and after 8 visits. Almost all pain gone. Good luck

• Edited

Thank you - well, George's problem disappeared over-night as suddenly as it had arrived. Very strange.

The dentist couldn't find anything wrong yesterday.

Chiropractor sounds good, take care.

• Edited

Glad to hear it all resolved OK - really annoying though when you don't know what happened!! Hope it stays that way.

We no longer get notifications of posts - unless someone replies directly to you, so you will get a notification of this. No-one else will. We aren't even told there is a new post on the forum. I try to drop in once a week but having always to log in again and the site being so slow only to find there is noting to look at is a bit of a dissuader! We have complained bitterly - the site is almost dead and still no-one does anything. It will be too late soon.

But as Anhaga says, the old service is available at healthunlocked:

https://healthunlocked.com/pmrgcauk

Bit manic over there at times - but always someone around to talk to even if they can't always answer the question!

• Posted

Thanks very much for the news, and what a shame this is - this forum, and your help, have been a hugely important support and source of advice to us over the last couple of years.

I will look out the new forum. George is down to 2mg Pred a day now and he's so much better in energy, so I hope we won't be needing too much help in future.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.