GERD?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can someone help me. It started with a heavy feeling on my heart area (chest) then my doctor prescribe me with 2 weeks of rabeprazole. Thinks that it is acid reflux. Within those 2 weeks of medication heaviness feeling on my chest finally went away but i noticed a lump on my throat and went away after suffering for i think 1 week but then i started experiencing chronic heartburn and sore throat (but not as critical as before as like the lump feeling earlier). So then my doctor prescribed me 3 months of taking Esomprazole ( a stronger one i guess) been taking it once everyday. Its already been 2 weeks, symptoms are still there, been taking esomep once a day, before breakfast at work. Then drink 1 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar at night before dinner. I just want to know if i should still take my meds or see my doctor again? i feel like there's no improvment on my medication or is it just me that i need to finish my medication for 3 months. Symptoms isnt painful but it is so bothering since the burning sensation occurs 24/7 and sometimes food stuck in my throat, but not really painful.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

2 weeks is not longer enough, it takes at least 4 weeks to see if it is working. Not sure about taking the vinegar check with a pharmacist that it's not undoing what the PPI is doing. You need to take the PPI 30mins before food . Your PPI dose may not be correct so you may need to return to Dr to see if they suggest increasing it, don't expect an instant feel better and your diet may be a factor in not feeling better 
  • Posted

Hi

Visit the forum initiated by 2 davidlamb. You will find some answers to your questions there.

Take care.

• Posted

Thank you guys for the feedback. I guess ill have to follow my doctor's order and finish my 3 month medication of esomep and comeback. I just hope that there would be improvements. Its so discouraging since the symptomes wont go away sad
  • Posted

Hi Not sure you are supposed to take apple cider vineger neat as it burns the esophagus. I was told by health shop to mix with a glass of water. Try that an see as wknight said you may be undoing things. I am on esomeprazole 40mg (20mg morning, 20mg night) so may be your dose is too low go back to GP to check but give it another week or so. I tried to reduce to 20mg but all the chest/throat symptons started so back to 40mg. Have been on them for nearly 9 years now and have no problems with them. Another thing to try is the over the counter ranitidine as they help.Good luck
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for the feedback. I havent gotten any Endoscopy or any test yet. But I showed a record of my blood extract to the doctor on my first visit which are all fine. Im kinda worried with my health. Does Acid reflux really take time to heal? Ive been like this for more than a month now. 24/7 burning chest and throat. Would this feeling ever go away or ill just have to maintain taking my meds everyday and deal with this not so painful but uncomfortable burning sensation on my body til the rest of my life sad
    • Posted

Hi I have been taking esomopraozole for 9 years now and was diagnosed with acid way before that. Yes it does take time and you will probably need to change your dosage, I was on 20mg, then 40mg and have been trying to get back to 20mg. You may have to try another kind as I have not heard of the one you are taking. Stop taking cider vinegar and take the odd ranitidine (Zantac) in between (not sure if you are uk - sold in all supermarkets own brand £1 for 12). You also have to sort your diet a bit, I struggle with alcohol, can have cider but wine is not good. Also chocolate starts me off, but I still have it just not so much. Ibuprofen is a no, no with acid so paracetamol is best. I will always have it, but trust me once your meds are under control it is eaiser and do not believe all the things you hear about side effects, I have none and never have had. Tell your GP they are not working, because after 1 month they should be and ask for another type. Good luck
  • Posted

Sorry nicog re-read your first post, I beleive esomeprazole are the strongest you can get, just what my GP told me, but as I said last post I take 40mg 1 20mg in morning and 1 at night this might be better than the cider vinegar.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.