GERD 24hr test

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had a 24hr tube in my stomach via the nose to test my acid episodes. My DeMeester score was 169.2 which is very high. I have had high readings before any operations (3 in total) but this is te highest ever. On the report it is says to exclude connective tissue disease. They wanted to take away half of my stomach as my stomach took too long to clear food. Has anyone had this experience who can enlighten me please?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Don't listen to them. Your stomach is not emptying fast enough because you LES is weak. You also might have a hital hernia. It's called gastroparesis. That's why your having reflux. Whatever you do, don't have the nissen fundoplication. It will make it worse. You need a doc who can repair your LES and fix hernia if there is one. Look into Esophageal Valvuloplasty. Dr Farid Gharagozloo only one who performs it. He is rated Americas top surgeon. I also was a patient of his and he saved my life

• Posted

Hi Farhana

I do also have a hiatus hernia and motility problems in my gullet . Too late I have had the nissen fundoplication, a take down and then a toupet wrap. I am now in this position due to all the ops I am sure. I am in the UK but I believe they have started doing the op you mention over here but not as a general form of treatment unless you pay for it. I really feel I have come to the end of any kind of treatment and PPIs obviously do not work now with such a high DeMeester Score. I am not willing to have this drastic operation and have turned it down. I was due to have it earlier on this year but there was a delay and then I said I was not going to have it as I loss my husband 2 months ago. How did this Dr save your life if you do not mind me asking?

• Posted

I am so sorry for your loss. I can imagine how hard everything all together must be. Yeah it's better you take it down. The nissen is making it worse. I also had a nissen then a toupet until I did a takedown with EV by Dr Farid Gharagozloo who saved my life

• Posted

It sounds like you have gone through pretty much as I have without a good result. My first op was a full wrap, the second a take down and the third a toupet. Unfortunately I have now had a breakdown of the operation due to violent vomiting for the past 4 years and left with, vomiting, the hiatus hernia and distrupted cura. I am convinced these operations have now made my acid score through the roof as the latest test showed. When I had the take down it caused me to have grade 4 erosions in the oesphogus hence another try. I now feel the same has happened as I am constantly sore even takiing PPIs. Inhindsight I wish I never had the operations. I am glad you have found a solution and hope your quality of life will be much improved. Kind regards from the UUK.

• Posted

It has been a tough road like you and I am finally ok. I am so sorry for everything your going through. Please don't give up. There has to be a solution. PPI made my symptoms worse. These nissen surgeries ruins lives and once they do this our anatomy is never the same. When you do a complete takedown it does take 6 months to a year to get back to normal. The main cause of your reflux is the hernia. Everytime they are doing the nissen, it keeps coming back and the nissen is making it worse. I wish you could come to the states and see Dr Farid Gharagozloo. He could really help you. There is a website on Facebook called nissen takedown. There are many like us. You can get tons of information specifically people in your area as well. You should check it out. Maybe someone can help you find a doctor near you.

• Posted

hi im suffering with gerd for a number of years now and as well as acid reflux and indigestion i was diagnosed with barretts oesaphagus for which im on PPIs. my appetite is not as it was since my last endescopy in late 2016 as i think they did some damage to my stomach when taking a biopsy. that was my third endescopy and i was fine after the previous two. im now due to have another one this week and im hoping that might give me some answers regarding my loss of appetite. in regards to your query from a personal point of view i would never let anyone take away half my stomach. jesus thats insane suggesting simething like that. i would therefore go for a second opinion. best of luck.

• Posted

I think the option to take half my stomach away was to relieve my stomach as the food was being stored and into my my gullet, hence I would be vomiting it all out once the stomach got overloaded. I have since turned down this option as I feel it will not help my poor motility in the gullet. I wish you good luck next week for your endoscopy. I have had many of those and absolutely hate them and do not tolerate them even under sedation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.