GERD

Posted , 3 users are following.

just want some advice ...i have suffered GERD for many years and had procedures to check nothing sinister all confirmed acid reflux gastritis and IbS all controlled by diet ,my last endscopy i had was 2017 private as i do suffer health anxietys especially as my dear mum had larynx cancer...

i take 20mg pantoprazole as has less side affects for me than omprezole . i have a flare up again even on the medication a bitter taste and lump in throat even though on medication which I TAKE daily in the morning ..i do take gaviscone sometimes but not helping. should I up to e 40mg a day or change medication ..I Have recently up my oestrogen patch as on menopause so could be this so I have read. any suggestion advice greatly received to support my health anxietys . i am fit healthy dont drink smoke eat the high acid foods and am careful on desserts as love ice cream and chocolate but not huge ammounts have to have some pleasures

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Top causes of reflux is eating too much especially at night which leads to increase volume and pressure in stomach. This also leads to increase hydrochloric acid in stomach that contribute to reflux. Caffeine and commercial tea can contribute to GERD. Weak esophageal sphincter (the ring muscle that open and close between your stomach and esophagus) leads to GERD. The cause of weak esophageal sphincter other than bad foods, alcohol and smoking is taking antacid like pantoprazole. The best to do with damaged esophageal lining is eating GREEN LEAFY vegetables or drinking cabbage juice. It speeds up healing. Antacids only mask symptoms. Oestrogen patch absolutely affects GERD.

• Posted

thanks brill advice i am so healthy do all that but interesting re acid inhiboters but i will wait till back in uk as my private consultant said i should be on but i think the culprit oestrogen i do need something as i dont drink am TT 12 years do yoga power walking sleep well eat fab so bit at a cross roads as in spain return Uk next week so hope to get sorted x

• Posted

hi came off ppi your advice work been on aloe vera camomile reduced oestrogen patch thanks see how i go ,yet to try cabbage water !!thanks any other good tips gratefully received

• Posted

i have been on RANITIdine fir 15 years now and a very hardened congenital ring was discovered between the oesophagus and the stomach

I also seem to live on Gaviscon as well I am waiting for gastroscopy again over lump feeling in throat, bad acid reflyx at night though bed is tilted and am living on porridge, dry crackers, soup and rice l

i am getting scared now and would love something nice - AFTER YEARS OF AVOIDING MEAT cheese, spicy stuff etc

• Posted

aww that me i hope sll goes ok for you i have had 2 now gastropy ladt one 2016 :

ans still worry but i cant keep going back as was diagnosed ok but i think as flare up you think is it something else let me know this gerd annoying

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.