GERD and Baclofen

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I've been struggling for nearly 3 years with all the usual symptoms.  Had umpteen tests and tried lots of different pills and lifestyle changes, but I am still struggling.  Been taking Domperidone for nearly 3 years now and don't think it is as effective as it was.  My Gastroenterologist has recently prescribed Baclofen but I am reluctant to try it after reading all the side effects particularly drowsiness.  Has anyone tried Baclofen? and has it helped? 

Tahnks,

Lynne

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hummm, I believe baclofen is a muscle relaxer, right? Any reason why he just gave you this? 
    • Posted

Hi Papote,

thanks for for taking the time to reply.

Yes I believe Baclofen is a muscle relaxer and I'm not convinced it will work for me as I feel things need tightening not relaxing.  However, if you google gerd and baclofen there is evidence that 'Baclofen has been shown to reduce transient lower oesophageal sphincter relaxation' .

• Posted

jejeje, a muscle relaxer helps the sphincter relax less.  Weird but interesting, because a benzo like xanax or valium makes the sphincter relax more. ;-) 
  • Posted

Hi Lynne

I'm exactly where u r however I don't take medication. Doesn't work for me. I take dgl licorice and a few other natural things. Otherwise if I'm really bad I take gaviscon. My main issue is at night. I can't lie flat. Makes going on holiday a nightmare. I have an appointment with my gastro end of this month and I'm seriously considering an op. Linx would be my first option.

I was getting really good results with acupuncture and then I decided to go cold turkey off my anxiety med ( lexapro) and it just messed everything up. Reflux came back with vengeance. I'm still persevering with acupuncture and reflux is settling slowly.

For me I would go for op over being on med long term but that's just me. I don't like taking meds.

• Posted

Hi Dominique,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I too have tried acupuncture and although it helped me relax I don't think it helped my symptoms.  

I have tried lots lots of different pills none of which seem to help with the exception of Domperidone and I don't think this is as effective as it was.

Surgery has never been offered to me as the results of tests don't support this.  

my last gastroscopy showed a small area of Barrett's but I am being offered no further treatment other than continuing with more pills.

At my wits end with it all.

• Posted

Hi Lynne

I too was offered amiltriptaline by one gastro. That's a muscle relaxant. I took it years ago for chronic back pain. It helped me sleep. I didn't want to go back on it though, due to feeling spaced out all the time!

If u have start of Barrett's can't you ask for op? Do u have to be offered? When I'm 100% about having the op I will be demanding it not asking for it.

Anyway let us know how you get on.

All the best Hun

Dom

• Posted

Hi Dom,

No. they won't unless is advanced.  They are not really concerned with barrets because the low chance on becoming something else. Many people have barrets but just don't know it unless symptoms takes you to do an endoscopy and find out you already had it for years.  My GI said I have mild barrets with no direct symptom so my GI only gave me PPI's and sent me home.  Now, they have no evidence PPI's help with barrets and even some believe it might make it worse.   Actually, they have no idea how to deal with barrets. ;-(   Btw, barrets is reversible. ;-)  Is all about diet and lifestyle changes and not PPI's. ;-)

• Posted

Yes I think acupuncture helps with my hormones and keeping me calm but then that really helps reflux because as soon as I get stressed or lose my temper my reflux is bad! And as we all know it then takes time to settle back down as the oesophagus is irritated.
    • Posted

Hi pap

Thanks for that. How are your symptoms lately? Any more thoughts on having procedure? I see my gastro end of this month. I'm sick of waking up with chest pain and that's with my bed elevated. There's no way I would get to sleep if I was flat.

Hope you had a lovely Easter.

God bless

Dominique

• Posted

Blessings Dom,

Yes, I'm going to see my GI on the 1st.  I plan to ask for another endoscopy in 5 months to see if the barrets is gone.  If not, I will ask for the stretta therapy at another GI office in Tampa.  But as you know the GI said barrets has nothing to do with my chest/rib-cage pain and lack of air so that is another issue.  I will be seeing a rheumatologist the 25th but I really do not expect much and actually do not want much.  All they can do is give you more medication for pain which I do not take. ;-(

Take care and God bless!

Jose

• Posted

Hi lynsey. Are you taking domperidone because your sick a lot or too stop nausea. I use it for my nausea as I suffer with gastri issues. I also use gavison a lot and busopan for cramps. Under investigation because I'm having difficulty swallowing now and constipation. Good luck. Let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi Gayle,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Domperidone I believe causes peristalsis and should increase pressure in the LES. It is the only drug I feel has helped my symptoms.

Buscopan made the whole thing worse for me.

Good luck with your investigations.

• Posted

Lower oesophageal sphincter muscle. The muscle that opens and closes to allow food down and stop acid coming up, but in our cases they are faulty and don't close properly hence acid coming up.

• Posted

Wow Domperidone was banned in 2013 here in the UK, Causes heart problems. I was on it for 3 years and then progressed up the ladder of meds until I was on max doses of Ranitidine and Ezomeprazole with prescription only thick Gaviscon. None worked! So I had the Nissen and 8 weeks later I feel great!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.