Gerd and gastritis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there am a recent GETD patient, Am new to the forum. Was wondering if you have found any relief/cures? I was diagnosed with GERD and mild reactive gastritis on late November 2017 and have been suffering since. Nausea, early satiety, stomach tenderness and pain (like being punched in the breastbone area) has and acid reflux. It’s been hell. Have tried bland diet, enzymes with meals, low acid diet....now on a ppi (Tecta) for two weeks and no real improvement. I’m 52, and this came on rather suddenly after a bout of high stress, probably too much drinking and eating spicy food. I blame myself but I’m trying everything to get better. Does anyone have any advice/suggestions/words of encouragement. I’m starving over here😥 Thank you and hope some of you have healed!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi.

Sorry that ure not feeling great.

Sleeping elevated is a good idea.

U could try visceral osteopath.

I also found diet low in carbohydrates helpful. Also sibo diet isnt bad but minus things which are acidic. Nothing which ferments much.

• Posted

Julia, have you tested yourself to check if you perhaps have LOW STOMACH ACID instead of too much? I was also placed on a PPI months ago and thought I would die from all of the pain and symptoms. I altered my diet, but I have lost 15 Kilo, that I did not need to lose. I have found out that I don't have enough stomach acid, but all of the same symptoms. Here is the test...

To perform this test: mix one quarter teaspoon of baking soda in eight ounces of cold water, first thing in the morning, before eating or drinking anything except water. Drink the baking soda solution. Time how long it takes to belch. Time up to five minutes. If you have not belched within five minutes stop timing anyway.

If your stomach is producing adequate amounts of hydrochloric acid you should probably belch within two to three minutes. Early and repeated belching may be due to excessive stomach acid. Belching results from the acid and baking soda reacting to form carbon dioxide gas. (The Heidelberg or Gastrocap tests can also be employed for confirmation of the results of this test.) GOOD LUCK!

• Posted

Thank you for this because I just asked a question on another forum about possible low acid instead of too much acid.
    • Posted

Hi there suzired

Thank you for your advice. I am reluctant to try the test right now because in addition to Gerd, I am suffering from gastritis. I have been told my tummy needs a rest from anything fizzy or spicy etc.  I would be willing to try that test wants my gastritis heals.

I am still having mild bouts of acid reflux, but my main complaint is the stomach pain, which is likely caused by a mild gastritis. It feels like I am being punched before I eat and can’t after I eat in the stomach area right at the meeting at the ramp I am still having mild bouts of acid reflux, but my main complaint is the stomach pain, which is likely caused by a mild gastritis. It feels like I am being punched before I eat and kit after I eat in the stomach area right  in the middle of my breastbone.  I have now been prescribed Tecta (ppi) twice a day for a few weeks and then I go back and see my GP on 18 January. I understand that coming off the ppi’s can be difficult as you get acid rebound so I’m not looking forward to that !

• Posted

Hi Julia,

I find a host of little things seem to help keep my reflux under a modicom of control. In no particular order..

Regular exercise

Tumeric capsuls 

Fibre supplements that dissolve in water

Aloe Vera water. The one with the bits in it. 

Omezaprol when nothing else helps.

hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Hi Paul

What kind of fibre and Tumeric do you take (name brands please?)

I do exercise every day (walk my dog or light horseback ride), but sometimes the nausea and bloated feeling makes it a real struggle!

• Posted

Hi Julia,

my wife makes the tumeric that I take by creating a paste and then freezing it in pill form using plastic moulds you can buy on line. I’m sure you can find instructions etc online.

i use Fybogel as my fibre supplement. It says it for constipation, but I use it anyway to boost my fibre intake and help the stomach.

The biggest +ve for me came when I dropped caffeine. I was drinking a coffee every day at about 7:30am. Then drinking 2/3 cups of tea later. I now drink de-caff versions of both.

I still drink alcohol, but very much in moderation. Sometimes it triggers it, sometimes not.

Hope the above helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.