GERD and palpatations

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have recently been to my local GP as I have been getting palpations quite regularly. I had my heart listened to and had a blood test which both came back with no real issues.

I suffer from GERD and I'm currently taking PPIs which do great for heartburn and acid reflux. However I still get reflux but it is not acidic, most times I eat I regurgitate food and feel bloated.

My palpatations only happen when I have this bloated feeling which feels like its in my stomach up to my esophagus. Some days I go without feeling bloated and some days I am bloated a lot even if I eat little. But the palpatations only occur when I have this bloating feeling

My GP said the palpatations were down to stress/anxiety but the only thing I feel anxious about is the palpatations.

Does anybody have a similar issue or experience with what I am having, or does anyone know weather there is a link between skipping heart beats and bloating.

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

i actually have the same thing. It's like one triggers the other. I do get the sore throat, feeling of something stuck in my throat etc but only the ectopics or palpitations when im bloated as you describe. It seems to be more that the pressure in my tummy affects the nerve or something near my heart and then causes problems. I hate it and really struggle to cope with it some days! Have you ever had problems if you have an upset tummy?

• Posted

Sounds exactly the same and from what I have heard it could be the stimulating of the vagus nerve which I have had a look at online.

Apparently bloating does this!

I never get an upset stomach but always feel a bloating in my gut and a feeling like something is in my throat. When the palpatations are happening. Its kind of a relief its not just myself this affects but I would like to get to the bottom of it.

• Posted

It is a relief to know we are not alone but surely there is something that the drs can help with? It affects a lot of my life and i find it really upsetting and anxious but then this makes the symptoms worse

• Posted

I get palpitations every time I am digesting a meal and although they do occasionally appear on an ECG. I was told not to worry about them as they are related to the way the vagus nerve links both the heart and the stomach and that I'd need to be having literally thousands of them every day before they would be considered serious enough to require treatment.

• Posted

That would make sense but don't you find the feelings uncomfortable? I have a sort of jump and missed beat. Never sure if it's my tummy or heart?

• Posted

Exact same as me. I worry about them and get anxious which is what I get as a diagnosis from GP

• Posted

I seriously could have written this myself. im going through the Same thing..been this way going on going on 2 weeks now. My Dr is sending me to a GI Dr this week. I've already seen 2 in the past two years. Im having loss of appetite too and belching and burping.

• Posted

Awful isn't it, could you give us an update when you go see GI Dr please.

• Posted

omg I relate to much to your EXACT symptoms. I understand that bloating feeling you're talking about, but it's weird because some times it can be really bad, and other days I don't have it at all just like you said. I ALSO regurgitate pretty much everything; it's rare I eat and don't spit up/ regurgitate. I'm glad someone finally talked about that because I don't read about regurgitation that often. Also, (not all the time) but definitely when i have bloating, i get heart palpitations. i also notice after eating my heart will seem to start beating harder and faster, like it just intensifies and I'm really aware of my heart (if that makes sense). My GI doctor told me he has heard of people with heart palpitations and GERD (esp. in younger people like myself; 19 years old), but he gave me NO answers. nothing helps me, have you found anything that seems to help? so sorry you are suffering

• Posted

Hi thanks for sharing and yes it seems the exact same as me. Do u feel ur heart skip beats? That is what I get and it is scary when they occur, I feel like it's random aswel because sometimes I can eat a big meal and not have them and other times I can eat normally and have them, they seem to be worse after consuming alchohol the day before.

One thing that helps slightly is taking a teaspoon of Andrews salts with water as it always relieves the bloating maybe worth trying this.

I'm now 32 and have suffered wit this since my teens but never really got the palps until maybe 3 yrs ago

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.