GERD and PPI'S what should i do and is anyone else in the same boat?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello. I'm a 20 year old male and after suffering from upper abdominal pain and intermittent heartburn around october of 2019 i went to see a gastroenterologist and had a gastroscopy done. My doc said he found evidence of mild esophogeal erosion and put me on dexilant. I ended up taking famotidine for about 2 months instead and then got on the dexilant for a couple weeks. Currently i take 60mg of it every other day. From the discussions ive had with my doctor he seems to not really be 100% sure how long i should be taking them for and when i expressed concern over the long-term risks of ppis he assured me that there were no conclusive studies linking ppi use to serious ailments. My own online reading seems to contridict that and there are qiite a few studies pointing to links between ppi use and serious issues like kidney failure, heart failure and even cancer.... The ppis do seem to help me (they completely eliminate heartburn but stomach pain persists on some days) but i dont know if taking them is worth it. Can anyone else living with GERD offer me any advice on what i should do? I never smoked or drank heavily and ive attempted to moderate my diet with little success. Also if anyone has been on ppis for a long time have you been negatively impacted?

Thanks to all who read this long-winded anxiety-fuelled post! Stay healthy!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Edited

So just because there are studies looking into a link with a serious illness and a medication, it doesn't mean there is one. If the illness isn't in the side effects it mean that the study couldn't prove a link. A lot of people who take PPIs are obese and we know there is a link between obesity and certain cancers, heart problems and a lot of other serious illnesses. Also people who are given PPI tablets often have h pylori which can give you cancer. What you have to understand about PPIs is they stop you absorbing vitamins and minerals so well, so if you take them make sure you take supplements a lot of the side effects that are a problem come from vitamin and mineral deficiencies. You don't have to take them every day, I have been on PPIs for many years on and off, I just take them now when I really need them, I can go weeks without one and then, but if I am experiencing a lot of pain I will take one. They can give you IBS symptoms but I take a kefir yoghurt drink when I have one and it doesn't effect me any more.

Do you take any painkillers like ibuprofen? NSAIDs can cause problems. Also sugar, caffeine, dairy, fatty foods, spicy foods, carbonated drinks and very cold drinks can all affect you. Not all of them may effect you personally, but it is a matter of testing things to see what makes your symptoms worse. Keep a food diary and a diary of your symptoms and then you can usually tell what effects you. Are you overweight? If you are losing weight can help, I knew someone who used to take PPIs every day and lost loads of weight and he doesn't get problems with reflux any more.

• Edited

I dont take any painkillers currently. Rarely ever took them to begin with to be honest. I purchased some kefir drink and will give it a try tomorrow! I am a bit overweight but not obese or anything. Im actually working on losing weight during the quarantine so maybe that will help. Are there any particular vitamins you take? I've read that PPIs most affect calcium and B12 absorption but Ive never really taken vitamins in the past so im unsure....

Thanks for replying!

• Posted

I take vitamin d spray because I was quite deficient in this and I now take some super B complex tablets which contain all the B vitamins because I was low in vitamin B12 and I heard recently that the other B vitamins are good for your immune system and good if you have lung problems, which I have had. I then take a multi vitamin and mineral tablet every few days and don't take the vit d and b complex on that day. You can ask to get your vitamin and mineral levels tested if you are unsure, most doctors are recommending everyone take vitamin d at the moment to keep your immune system strong to help fight off viruses. I would only recommend taking the multi vitamin and mineral if you are going to take the ppis. Ask your doctor what they would recommend. You need vitamin d in order to absorb calcium. When I was deficient my nails became very soft and split very easy and my hair started to fall out, After taking vitamin d spray every day it started to get back to normal after a couple of months.

• Posted

Hi greg26145.

I myself I've been taking Lansoprazole for more than 5yrs and everytime my kidneys get checked due to my diabetes they are fine. I'm nearly 50yrs old and a year after A roux-en-y operation which on occasions has needed endoscopies and a CT due to suspected internal gastric bleeding. A recent Ultrascan had staff commenting how good my kidneys look. I have diagnosed heart disease (mild). Luckily I'm able to monitor my own health improvements whilst in COVID-19 lockdown. Pre Roux-en-y i had very very bad breathing problems and used maximum Asthma inhalers. Still no affect on my kidneys, nor any of my remaining tablets/insulin for pain and diabetes.

• Posted

Happy to hear you are doing well and that the PPIs havent had a negative impact!

Thanks for your response!

• Posted

Hi greg26145.

I myself I've been taking Lansoprazole for more than 5yrs and everytime my kidneys get checked due to my diabetes they are fine. I'm nearly 50yrs old and a year after A roux-en-y operation which on occasions has needed endoscopies and a CT due to suspected internal gastric bleeding. A recent Ultrascan had staff commenting how good my kidneys look. I have diagnosed heart disease (mild). Luckily I'm able to monitor my own health improvements whilst in COVID-19 lockdown. Pre Roux-en-y i had very very bad breathing problems and used maximum Asthma inhalers. Still no affect on my kidneys, nor any of my remaining tablets/insulin for pain and diabetes.

• Edited

hi Greg

same here , been like you since September 😦

nothing helps

hpylari treated

ppi stopped indigestion, but pains and pressure in the middle of upper stomach, bloating often .

feel like lump in through, doc said just GERD and anxiety

horrible 😦

• Posted

PPI tablets can give you IBS symptoms, try having a kefir yoghurt drink once a day, it can help with symptoms, if not ask your doctor for alverine it will definitely help. Also take a multi vitamin and mineral tablet every day as the PPI stops you absorbing vitamins and minerals so well and vitamin deficiencies can cause stomach problems.

• Posted

thank you so much a will definitely try this

so so tied of it all 😦

seams like I lost 9 month of my life

• Posted

hello again

I had a look online

there is kefir yogurt or kefir drink ? which one is the right one , or both just as good ?

thank you so much

• Edited

kefir yoghurt drink is what I was talking about but you could have kefir yoghurt as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.