GERD and Tingling sensation on Arms

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I've been suffering from acid reflux for about a year now. I did my stomach scope last year and everything was fine except i had a small hiatal hernia and the doc thinks its causing the reflux. Was prescribed omeprazole and took that daily for a few months. Then it didnt worked as i felt easily 'full' after eating just abit.

Since then i've tried almost all types of ppi drugs, nexium pantoprazole , dexilant , you name it i have tried it but all of them didn't worked. I either had side effects or it just caused me more pain than the reflux burn. Finally i settled on pariet/rabeprazole initially was on 20mg per day but now i've made progress with only 10mg every other day. My doc is optimistic he could get me off ppi soon but im sceptical still.

So here's my question - when i'm on pariet i'm usually fine but the days when i'm not taking pariet then some days i could feel like this needle prick feeling in my stomach and then on both my hands and arms. Has anyone else had this feeling before? It comes and goes but doesn't really bother me much. I told the doc and he honestly told me it might be my stress or mental anxiety.

I've always think that something is causing my reflux, like there's some underlying bug/parasite that could be causing it. Since i was living a perfect life before a course of antibiotics , i didn't knew what is heartburn then. But after that a course of long antibiotics , like 1 month long i got heartburn/GERD and until now it doesn't seem to go away. So my second question is , has anyone has such experience before? I researched online and come to my own conclusions that i could either have (due to antibiotic influenced):

- a parasite infection

- a fungal infection/candida

Could it be possible? Can anyone with similar situation or experience help me out? I discussed this with my doc and he doesn't seem to think it could be candida but he didn't brush off the parasite possibility. The reason why he didn't ordered any tests for that maybe that he is seeing i'm improving on the pariet dose so he might just want to 'write me off' without further diagnosis. Sorry for writing a wall of text and i hope you guys could share your experiences here.

We all suffered and know how terrible GERD is, i would never wish this disease upon anyone if i could.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

In reply to ur post I too get tiny stabbing pain in my stomach and arms and fingertips I am on omeprazole a month with no improvement in reflux the pain out shoulder blades is the worst also diarhea had endoscopy done end of January nothing reported I do have hiatus hernia but feel do bad most days that I feel I need another endoscopy

Hope u feel well soon and post back

Kate

• Posted

Hi Kate

I think you might want to try another PPI for your symptoms. There's a variety of them - pantoprazole , nexium , dexilant etc. Did your doc gave any advice or recommendations?

I had diarrhea wihile on omeprazole too. Some things i tried that worked for me are - manuka honey, DGL licorice , psyllium husk fiber, probiotics like S.boulardii and apple cidder vinegar which really helps digestion and bowel movements. You might want to try these out because i don't think medication is the way to go.

• Posted

Hi Kevin

Thanks for ur reply

So far I've tried slippery elm and probiotic but it's early days I'm going back to gastric surgeon later today so maybe he will change meds as definitely not working I'm hoping he will do another endoscopy even tho I'm terrified of outcome can I ask do u suffer from burning pain out between ur shoulder blades? I find this part very scary hope I get some relief soon and that u might keep in touch talking to others with same problems I'd only comfort I have as no one seems to understand how terrifying it all is

Many thanks

Kate

• Posted

Hi Kate

Its good that you are trying some supplements . For me , i typically try one for like a week or so and if it doesn't seem to help then i just drop it and move on to the next. A second endoscopy wont really help if it's just for a short time after the first one because basically it will probably show the same results as before and it costs you money again.

Yes that burning pain is the main and only symptom of my concern right now. It goes away with ppi use but i can last 1-2 days without any ppi use right now. Heartburn feels terrifying but scientifically it's just stomach acid touching your esophagus (docs often say this like its not big deal but the pain and suffering is another experience they dont get at all)

Try to put less worry on your mind cos it will really help as the mind relaxes so does the burning. How old are you ? I'm only 27 this yr

• Posted

Tks for ur reply Kevin I'm 33 next birthday and yes I am a total worry worm especially about health

Went to see my gastro doc today and he had agreed to do another endoscopy tomorrow hopefully it will be good he said he is puzzled about my shoulder blade pain

Wish me luck

Kate

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.