GERD & cough/vomit??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

So I have GERD but have been doing fine and not experiencing symptoms for a while now (had most of the symptoms besides barfing, took multiple prescibed meds before, had endoscopy) due to natural healing ways (drinking a specific tea and eating specific honey), but today out of nowhere with no stomach pains or warning, I started coughing a little, and then violently, and then almost barfed... it felt like I was going to barf air and acid or something, probably because I didn't feel food coming up my esophagus and just felt like barfing because of the intense coughs... I sat down next to a trash can and the feeling immediately vanished and I stopped coughing. 

*This next part is important: today I had almost all flour/wheat foods (I know that flour is a trigger food for reflux, but I read that people who experience

"period acid reflux" have it bad regardless of their diet) and I'm supposed to be starting my period soon, and in my research, found that before-period times cause an increase in acid reflux symptoms so I guess I have a couple questions about this episode today:

1. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening if it ever happens again? I have a very very very (can't stress this enough) intense fear of barfing and that split second where I was going to borderline barf was terrible.. I also know if I were to, it would just be acid which would be bad for me anyway. Anything in that moment of feeling like I'm going to barf that I can do? Drink hot water? Take over the counter medicine? Anything??

2. Is it true that acid reflux symptoms worsen over the time the period is supposed to begin? After going a good few weeks without symptoms, the past couple days I felt nauseous as well as a sharp pain in my left chest area if I took a deep breath. 

Thank you in advance for any answers!!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have no sure answers really only that i can relate to the fear of throwing up. i always think im going to choke on my own vomit. and for one entire week last week i felt ok after months of being nauseous 24/7. Happiest week of my life . and then BAM ..this week all the reflux symptoms return.

And the week i felt ok i was eating whatever i wanted i might add. go figure.

I take Pantaloc 40 mg per day but i have to say its not working too well for me. I mite feel ok for about half an hour out of 24. so when i feel the puking feeling coming on i take a Gravol pill. I dont think its smart for me to be taking them along with the Pantaloc or at all , because they arn't meant to be used on a daily basis but i don't care. I can't stand the feeling of nausea and the Gravol seems to thwart it off.

• Posted

Your problems are those of reflux. Diet may affect acidity but not the reflux which is a mechanical action rather than a chemical one.

You need to look at ways of reducing reflux whcih is brought about by a malfunctioning lower oesophageal sphincter (usually due to a hiatus hernia) and allowing the stomach to be tilted or squeezed while there are contents still within it.

Go to the free book / website www DownWithAcid org uk and read the section on reflux.

• Posted

Im glad u have been feeling better thats terrific.

Ginger is really good for nausea. I drink fresh ginger lemon and honey tea. If i overdo ginger it can upset stomach so not too much.

Can i ask what tea and honey you have been taking?

Yes my reflux is always worse around period time. Supposingly the LES sphincter muscle is influenced by hormones. Plus i get pmt which doesnt help at all.

Ive just began BHRT and natural thyroid med. Im hoping it will help my GERD.

Kind regards

Dominique

• Posted

Hi Dominique, 

Thanks for your input!

Yes, the tea is Evodia Extract tea (kind of expensive, $50 for ~20 tea bags) and Manuka Honey (there are different kinds, so I think doing the research on this is good... also kind of expensive).

• Posted

Thanks for that Rachel. Never heard of tea but i will research it (as i do everything lol). I have just started taking manuka honey ( npa 15 + ). Do u know what NPA you take? I started taking it for virus i had but ive continued to take it for reflux. I have it with ginger and lemon tea. How do u take yours and how much do u take per day.

Im so glad you are feeling better. GeRd is an awful affliction!!!! Do you still have to be careful with diet?

All the best and thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Dominique 😊

• Posted

Not sure exactly which NPA I take, but I've gone through a couple jars and they have been different but still (feels) pretty effective.

I do have to be careful with my diet... mainly food with flour I think? Or it can be gluten. Not exactly sure, but bread and pasta types of food definitely make me feel worse than anything else.

I was also considering ginger, as I heard that's the best natural remedy!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.