GERD due to mineral deficiency?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi there , i've been having heartburn for about 4 mths now never had it before this. Saw a few docs and did some tests including an endoscopy , results show i have GERD and a small hernia. Doc don't really think the hernia is causing the burn though but he prescribed me omeprazole 20mg to be taken daily. I've been on this ppi for about 7weeks now and i read there's some bad side effects to it if used long term.

I've searched alot lately what could be causing the LES muscles to weaken and some sites point to vitamin and mineral deficiency , like magnesium, zinc and calcium. Does anybody else think or experienced mineral deficiency directly causing their heartburn? I'm almost 27 yrs old and been thru some stressful times lately so stress might play a part in this as well.

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

What scares me more than taking the PPI daily is the damage that acid can do to your insides which you can't see. Which is why as soon as pain appears I increase my dose to a level agreed with my doctor, then bring it back down again.

BTW you can have a 48hr PH test without the horrid tube. Just recently I had a capsule with a wireless transmitter left inside me during an endscopy (it falls off after a few days and passes thru) and then I carried the receiver device around with me.

PPIs are also designed to heal your insides and repair some of the damage so they are good to take and  are you sure that the diarrhea is from the PPI and not some other food you ate. With less acid inside you to kill off the doggy food, it could simply be that.

• Posted

Please try apple cider vinegar. Check vitamin B12 and D!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.