GERD due to overweight

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, i have been more or less overweight since i was a teen, but now i am of course bigger than at that time. At the moment im 36 years old. However  a few years ago i recognized heartburn so i went to my doc and later i was able to to a gastroscopy. Everything looked fine but the doc told me that my stomach was not closing due to my excess body fat. also i got a prescription on omeprazole. Has anyone else here also got the diagnosis of GERD simply because of the overweight? In that case how heavy are you?

Second i have used omeprazole 20mg for 4 years now, but they say its bad. I reckon many people have side effects, but i am happy so far. its hard to stop taking it but i am considering. the only bad thing its so hard to loose weight, even though that seem to be a good medicine....

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi, i was always been fit. For last four years I've been gaining weight and gain 50 pounds in last four years, from 176/177 to 227/226 pounds. two years back I had chest pain ,then went to doctor & he gave me omeprazole twice a day. He didn't even mentioned me that I've gerd ,he only said take this medicines everyday and try to lose weight as at that time i was around 200 pounds. So like you i tried, but as you mentioned it's very hard to lose weight. But two months back I've diagnosed LPR and its so painful experience ........ Now I've lost 23/24 pounds in four weeks & feels a lots better, but my doctor said LPR cannot be cured permanently ,but it could be controlled with weight lose and lifestyle change etc. Now sometimes i think I wish i lose my weight earlier and never come to this stage. So my advice is learn from me and start losing weight immediately.
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for the advice! smile First of all my congrats to you loosing over 20 pounds!

May I ask what is the meaning of the acronym LPR? i could not fins any info here what it means. Thanks in advance!

• Posted

laryngopharyngeal reflux. I can say 80% of symptoms are gone with weight loss, medication & lifestyle modification. doctor says i should go to gym at least 4/5 days a week & within three months I would be a lot better. Lets hope for the best.
  • Posted

My doctor said she thinks I probably have a hiatus hernia causing my GERD (though it could easily be there without the hh). I am a bit overweight, not a lot. Hve been on omeprazole for a week and dont like it but continue for now. Get heady and crampy stomaches, which sort of means that you can forget about whether or not your stomach is playing up because you put it down to the medication and dont worry so much.But if you need to lose weight lose weight. Far better to be in your situation than someone who is very ill where it is fatal and there is nothing they can do about it.
  • Posted

Hi there, I had a VBG done in 2005 afer topping 21 stone ., I had no help no help with the after care. Idid get down to 13 stone, and then 4 yers ago i was very ill as my weight dropped to 75kg. I have been told by three differen tsurgeons that i need a revission op, to convert toa bypass.But it never happens ,i am  nine years since my first op and i live on yogurt ice cream and soup. My hsband has had o give up work to take care of me, as i am disabled aswell. I have had 52 ops on my legs. I was born with CDH and it was not picked up until i was 25. I have got so fed up being told i will have a reviussion and then let do. I am now desprate  for this bypass. I dont have a life it is an excistatence. I am having to have counciling asi dont want to live like this. This time last year i was told i would have a xmas dinner this year with my husband.I have been in and out of hospitals all over the place to be rehydrated 3 weeks at a time,but this does nothing to help . I had a tube fitted in feb of this year to have 100 mls of feed a day, but it still makes me sick sweats,he said there is nothing nurtricinal in what i eat, and i promise i will not let you down and this op would be done. So please please if you know of any doctors that will do this please let me know. I fell and broke my femuer last year due to being so weak. But you must get on to the people you are dealing with and dont be fobed off. As it always comes down to cost, and you can not put a cost on some ones life.So sorry to rant on but i just as well not be here. Ro
  • Posted

Hi I had hart burn a lot when I was 36.5 stone and used to take lots of tablets to take the pain away after having a gastric sleeve done I've lost weight by just over 11 stone and have a  omeprazole everyday but feel much better .

i don't seen to have any side affect 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.