GERD? Heart burn? Chest pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Curious if anyone’s ever experienced this pain. My chest hurts, I feel like I have food stuck in it like it needs to move down, sort of like when you swallow a pill and you feel it go all the way down, well I feel like something is hung. Has anyone ever had this? I have terrible health anxiety so this s**t makes me lose my mind as I think something’s seriously wrong (heart attack, etc.) I get heartburn a lot, I’m almost positive I have GERD. But this pain doesn’t seem like it could be from that, could it?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Are you experiencing the sensation of food feeling stuck, as you described it, when you eat? Or did you use that as an example only?

I ask this because if you are experiencing frequent heartburn it is certainly possible that your esophagus has become inflamed and thus food can get stuck or slowed. Or when food passes the inflamed area, the area can become further irritated causing pain. GERD can most certainly cause chest pain. It sounds like you are saying this is a different pain than the "heartburn" you are accustomed too. It is true that an esophagus that has been damaged or inflamed with cause pain that can feel different than the typical "burning" associated with heartburn.

For myself, I have never once experienced "heartburn" as burning. Rather I feel sharp chest pains and dull aching pain in my ribs/back/chest.

If you suspect you have GERD and frequent heartburn would suggest you do, I would schedule an appointment with your doctor to get you going down the right path to treatment.

Cheers!

• Posted

Yeah sometimes I feel it get kind of stuck and take awhile to get down when I eat, very few times this haplens. But this happened after I woke up, which I did drink alcohol & ate right before bed. I have constant throat clearing too, which is a symptom. It’s just crazy it can make your chest hurt like this, uncomfortable, like I need to clear it. This hand in hand with my anxiety is enough to make me go insane bc it’s all I’ll thibk about until I don’t have chest pain “oh I’m having a heart attack” but I’m 23 & healthy so I try to tell myself I’m not at risk. 

• Posted

You really need to go and see your doctor sounds like your inflamed  and foods irritating as it goes down I'm getting this problem myself but medication as stopped helping so waiting to see s gastroenterologist 

• Posted

What you’re describing is called Dysphagia. It’s considered an “alarm symptom”. It could indicate a number of conditions—strictures, eosinophilic esophagitis, esophageal dysmotility, achalasia, and cancer, among others. You will want to make an appointment with your doctor and schedule an EGD. It is unlikely to be very serious, but could become quite serious if it is not investigated and treated appropriately. 
  • Posted

Hi, I wonder if it could be esophageal spasm. I’ve been diagnosed with that and I’ve been told that the pain mimics a heart attack. Perhaps you could ask your gp about it. I had various heart tests (scan, ecg, stress test and heart monitor for 2 weeks) to rule out anything like that. I am now taking amytriptyline and saldinifal to help with the spasms so if it is that, your Gp might try something like that. Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.