GERD help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi! Im 27 years old and I would get regular heartburn like one or twice a week but nothing a few tums wouldnt solve.  About two weeks ago I got this really uncomfortable chest pain that radiated to my back.  It almost felt like a gas bubble was in my chest and it was a stabbing pain that made me feel like I had to stand up and strech or something.  It lasted for about 40 minutes.  This started happening every day in the middle of the day but now it starts about an hour after I wake up.  I also always feel like there is a lump in my throat.  None of this really feels like typical heartburn anymore and tums and anything else like that has no effect on it anymore. I went to the doctor and she didnt do any tests on me.  She just said it sounded like acid reflux and put me on a PPI. 20mg once a day when I wake up.  Ive done this for 8 days now and its doing nothing at all.  I also dont want to be stuck taking those forever.  Does anyone have any natural remedies that have helped?  I did some research and it looks like for most people the problem is not enough stomach acid so a PPI actually does more harm than good and just temporarly subsides the symptoms instead (even though it hasnt for me at all).  Im not sure what the lump feeling in my throat is caused by and sometimes when im swallowing liquids it feels like it gets stuck and it struggles to go down and actually its very painful.  This only happens with liquids, not solids.  Super weird. Help!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Roxym, I can imagine what you are going through is extremely uncomfortable. I have similar symptoms.and I don't take any medication. The problems eventually go away by themsleves. I do believe a lot has to do with anxiety and not watching carefully what I eat. Perhaps you should look into those causes as well.

• Posted

hello, uncomfortable isn't it. Suggest seeing a Gastroenterologist to have everything checked could be anything from Reflux, or LPR With the lump in the throat. I have been suffering for years and on on heavy duty meds 40mg somac twice daily with motillium before meals. the ENT problems were getting to me so went for the surgery option, although not guaranteed to cure But it had to try as it was getting debilitating. I have just now come home from hospital having had a laproscopic fundoplication. Surgery went well - only two day stay.Just small discomfort every now and then. On borths and purees for a while to gradually increasing texture of diet. But i feel fine. Good luck. I'm not saying go for the surgery now, but it may be an option in the long run if things don't improve.

• Posted

My mum use to get really bad stabbing pains. Turned out she has Achalasia. I'm not saying you have this but worth ruling out. A ph study would tell you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.