Gerd or LPR symptoms. what worked for you?

Posted , 14 users are following.

I am not sure whether i have lpr or gerd. maybe i have both. My story started on july when i constantly was feeling a lump in my throat, this feeling started after i had a round of antibiotics to treat strep throat. so i went to my regular doctor and she said that maybe i was having silent reflux so she told me to take a 14 day of omeprazole. I only took it for 7 days and stopped because that cause me digestive issue which i didn't had before, I was bloated after eating, burping all the time and actually start having heartburn which didn't have before taking omeprazole. 4 days after i stopped omeprazole my stomach was burning, nauseaus had a sour stomach , I couldn't eat anything, now i was having acid reflux symtoms, The nauseous, sour stomach and burning last 3 months but my acid coming up into my esophagus didn't went away. I am now regurgating up to my throat every day, i feel something sour/bitter taste in my month and burning throat minutes after eating, but don't have the normal heartburn, but i do have chest pain. in the middle of August i had an endoscopy and show i had esophagitis level I. after that endoscopy doctor told me to try zantac, that made me dizzy so i stopped the doctor told me to just do a diet. i did the diet , no spicy food, no acidic food, low fat food , no coffee, alcohol, cocholate. but nothing worked. I wast still regurgating after every meal. then last month i start even having sore throat alot so i went to another doctor and he gave me dexalaprazole i took it for three weeks and didn't feel any difference, it even make my throat more sore and was having for chest pain. So i switch to nexium and i been on it for almost 3 weeks too but is not helping me with the regurgation i get after eating. i don't have sore throat anymore but still have burning throat in the mornings and checst pain sometimes. had anyone had similar symtoms and what helped? could this be jsut lpr or both(gerd and lpr) i don't get the usual hearburn, i mean once in a while i do get it but not every day. my issue is more regurgation after every meal but not food is feels like a bitter/ sour feeling and sometimes burning inmy throat. please anyone who had this or know someone who had it what helped?

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What has worked best for me is Gaviscon Advance from the UK (not US Gaviscon, which is very different) -- 2 tsp as last thing before you go to bed. Do not eat or drink after taking it, even water. Sleep on an incline. Also, for me eating fewer carbs helped. Also separating large portions of carbs from large portions of protein. Slippery elm is also good.

• Posted

I am so sorry you are suffering these terrible symptoms. I have them also due to gastroparesis and they can make life a living hell.

Antibiotics destroy the bad bacteria making you sick but they can also kill off the good bacteria critical to the digestive environment in your stomach. Are you taking probiotics and or prebiotics? Please research this.

Have you tried a teaspoon of mustard or a half teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water? If these help you, they can be great assistance in resetting your gut flora. Try eating sauerkraut and drinking kefer water.

Be very careful with acid reducers. They are doctors first line of defense but have unhealthy side effects and can cause new problems.

Best wishes and blessings and Merry Christmas to you. I pray you heal quickly, C

• Posted

I think you should see real GIs as this seem to require some expert attention. The diet you mention is critical and I suggest you keep to it. Long term use of PPI could induce gastroparesis as low acid means poor digestion. The suggestion of Apple cider vinegar is sound as I have found it very useful myself. Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi Maria,

Some of your symptoms sounds very familiar to what I've been experiencing as well. I also started to have incredibly excruciating heartburn after taking omeprazole, so bad that I could not sleep or eat.

Eating probiotic yoghurt and drinking Yakult seemed to alleviate a lot of my symptoms, I also stopped taking acid reducers because they were causing more problems.

• Posted

Hi Maria,

The first thing that comes to mind is whether you were told exactly when to take the medications. I was on Nexium for 7 mths and gained weight. It did nothing else for me. After 7 months I realised the doctor was wrong in the timing of my doses. I then switched doctors and medications and things improved.

Esophagitis is often a result of an infection not being diagnosed and hence not treated. These include Herpes and Candida. Have you checked for these? If not, please do and treat them.

You mentioned a change in diet. Good. But have you stopped drinking soft drinks (sodas)? These are bad for reflux and for your lower esophageal sphincter.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear this. I started experiencing almost the exact same things about a year ago -- and totally out of the blue. I tried a ton of different diet suggestions, supplements, and medications (including acid reducers), but what's worked best for me is a low carb/low fermentation diet called Fast Tract. I wish you luck. Just know you'll likely not stumble on a "miracle" cure. It's taken a long time for your body to get to this point and healing will also take time. Good luck!

• Posted

did you do the low acid and low fat too at the same time or just the low carb? also did you took supplements at the same time? how long did it took for you to feel better? were you regurgating after every meal as well? thanks for your feedback. this is really estresfull i can't stop thinking i may get cancer if i don't control this symptoms.

• Posted

Hi. I had acid reflux for 5 years. Common treatment do not solve my problem. Ultimately, doctors tell me the root of your problem is nervous. I came to the psychiatrist and after treating different medications, I finally got treated with "Nortriptyline".

• Posted

did you acid reflux resolved after starting on nortriptyline? what were your symptoms and did you had them every day?

• Posted

After two weeks of taking this medication, my recovery started. My symptoms were acid reflux and heartburn.

• Posted

did you have any side effects from nortriptyline? also how long did you took ppis for?

• Posted

also did you stop ppis cold turkey? if not how you did it, i on ppis (nexium) but is not working for my reflux and i think it made my lpr worse. i have a sore troat that is not going away and i have alot of anxiety. i want to stop ppi but i heard about the rebound effect. any advice will be great appreaciate. thank you!

• Posted

also did you stop ppis cold turkey? if not how you did it, i on ppis (nexium) but is not working for my reflux and i think it made my lpr worse. i have a sore troat that is not going away and i have alot of anxiety. i want to stop ppi but i heard about the rebound effect. any advice will be great appreaciate. thank you!

• Posted

i took three times.Two and three months, and at last six months. You have to slowly stop ppi. So reduce your ppi dose and then, for example, take one day in between. Then cold turkey will not happen.

i think ppi just reduce my acid and i feel good short time but after that my reflux worth.

Yes, Nortriptyline have drowsiness and fatigue side effects. In my opinion, you first consult a psychiatrist and talk to him.

• Posted

you say nexium didn't work for you.

Were you told exactly how to take it?

If so AND it still doesn't work, then you're in my boat!

I did some reading and found another PPI works differently

and it worked very well 😃

It's called rabeprazole (with "PARIET" being a leading brand).

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.