GERD or something else? please help.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Would somebody mind please giving me their opinion on the following description of my condition, which I suspect is the result of LPR   .......   Male 62 yrs, persistent reflux; no heartburn though. cough at night; persistent dull headache behind the eyes; most importantly and miserably, CONSTANT PAIN AND STINGING BEHIND AND 'INSIDE' my EYES, nasal/sinus irritation as if the acid has made it up into my sinus area, sometimes nausea, and now, sometimes feeling a constriction when eating. Nothing relieves these symptoms except sleep, and pain killers help a little (if any readers want to comment constructively, please do). Regards, gezza53.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

Please go to your doctor first!!!!

I have the exact same symptoms. Stinging or burning behind and inside my eyes, ears, nasal passages, and throat. No heartburn and a constant headache. I went to my gastroenterologist and I was diagnosed with Gerd. He performed an endoscopy with bravo test. I had been taking one Prilosec a day after my test he increased to twice a day. Trying to see now if this will work. Other things I have done to help is lifting the head of my bed up a few inches off the floor, changing my diet, and don't eat three hours before bed. I have had what feels like a runny nose and a lump feeling in my throat. My ENT told me to use nasacort and Claritin. My ENT also confirmed reflux. I've read that some people have tried vinegar as a home remedy. And I've also purchased a book on different foods to eat if you have reflux. The best best best advice I can give you would be to go to your doctor first!!!! Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks heaps for that Asel. In one way I'm relieved that I'm not alone on this. Have been to doctor(s), neither were willing to claim with certainty that the stinging eyes were a symptom of or related to of GERD. At exactly the same time that the stinging eyes developed, my skin all over my body did exactly the same thing, almost like someone sticking pins into me; the stinging goes away when I'm excercising or sometimes when I'm positively engaged in something, so I began to think it was all anxiety related. Anyway, I won't go in about it, however Asel, please tell me, have any of the medications you mentioned worked yet ? Or the diet change ? Maybe too early to say yet ?
    • Posted

My gastroenterologist wouldn't say either, if the stinging eyes are related to Gerd. But he did say that I have Gerd. Taking one Prilosec a day did nothing. Taking two a day seems a little better. Sour taste and burning throat not as bad. I also take gaviscon when needed. It's a little better. Really still trying to see. I only had the endoscopy about three weeks ago. Eating right does help. It's hard trying to find the right Meds that work and eating right is hard too. I bought the cookbook "dropping acid". I started to pay close attention to my symptoms. I noticed that a lot of times I have all the symptoms at the same time ( sour or metallic taste in mouth, headaches, burning eyes, ears, etc) sometimes the symptoms are ongoing and other times some of the symptoms come and go. My opinion is that the stinging is related. When I notice the reflux symptoms my eyes and all are burning at the same time. I have been using a humidifier and a hot cold sinus pack to help with the irritated nasal passages seems to work really well. I will let you know how it goes with the Med change. Sorry about the long reply. Nice to know there's someone who can relate. This has really been a tough experience.
    • Posted

Thanks Asel. Will keep you informed of any positive developments. 
  • Posted

The symptoms you describe can be those of extra-oesophageal reflux (also commonly called LPR or silent reflux).

I sympathise greatly as I suffered with all your symptoms and more for most of my life prior to having a fundoplication.

Go to www DownWithAcid org uk. Scroll down the contents (home page) and you'll find a chapter on extra-oesophageal reflux in the main Reflux section of the book.

A 2014 poll of 100 reflux sufferers revealed 70% reported experiencing Hoarseness, 64% constant throat clearing, 58% post nasal drip, 58% chronic cough, 53% sinusitis, 53% bad taste in mouth, 50% Globus (lump in throat), 42% Asthma-like symptoms (shortness of breath), 41% tooth decay or sharp edges to teeth, 35% Catarrhal symptoms (blocked nose), 35% Loss of voice, 35% dry or gritty eyes, 30% nocturnal ear waxing.

Medication may reduce acidity but not the reflux itself. This can only be controlled by lifestyle changes or surgery. - Read about these options in the ensuing chapter of the Down With Acid book.

• Posted

Thank you Barretts. 2 questions please. (1) do you believe that lifestyle changes alone can fix this issue (2) were you affected by the 'stinging' sensations in the skin over your body and in/behind the eyes ? Thank you for the advice, I'm looking now at the other resources you and previous respondent Asel have suggested. 
    • Posted

Whether lifestyle changes alone can fix this, I'm not sure. For me they didn't and things got so bad (mainly the chronic cough) I opted for a fundoplication which was the best thing I ever did.

I did experience eye sensations - a build up f salt crystals under the eyelids that scratched the eye, that didn't wash out even with eye drops but had to be scraped off with my fingernails. (Caused by irritation to the mucosa of the nasal passages and passing through the tear ducts - much like "sleep sand". )

And I experienced the random pin pricking sensations over my body that I never actually associated with reflux (as I couldn't see a connection).

• Posted

gezza53, I also have prickling skin which then turns into mad itching ,for different lenghts of time and differnt parts of body including scalp. I have GORD (with minimal Barretts) and also Sjogrens (in remission). I find my skin will react if it gets too hot , e.g when running on the treadmill within a few minutes the prickling starts , followed by itching, sometimes the prickling starts when I am chilling watching t.v . The rheumatologist wasn't convinced it was due to Sjogrens and I didnt mention it the gastroenterologist...(also had Pityriasis Roscea which lasted for 4 months..which didnt itch at all) . So I am considering revisiting the rheumatologist or maybe the dermatologist.  
    • Posted

Thanks shaq. For me, with the help of some of the forum members and lots of reading, I think I might have nailed the actual cause of my stinging eyes, headache, stinging skin on the body. Yes, you guessed it ....... GERD. I also think, because of my bad long term eating and drinking habits and subsequent overweight and poor health, I can see a pathway forward. From my reading, the main processes of GERD seem to be (a) mild obesity causing upward pressure on that sphincter-valve above the stomach, (b) the wrong bacteria In the stomach caused by sugars and other carbs, grains, starches etc which in turn causes bacterial overgrowth and (c) poorly digested carbohydrates, [boy!, what a complex subject that seems to be]. I fully believe this is the case for me.  Too easy, just need to now give up beer and wine, yummy bread, muesli, sweets, etc etc. regards, gezza. 
    • Posted

I agree. I n0ticed a big improvement when I gave up grains. I ran out of food the other day and made a rice dish and the next day I could feel the acid in my mouth.
    • Posted

good luck with giving up all those yummy things that I also indulge in (except beer).  Unfortunately I live in a country where there is nothing else to do except eat and drink so If I give up the only entertainment my life would be too long cry 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.