GERD, pins and needles, and other symptoms?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there. I'm 20 years old, not in the best condition physically but not excessively overweight. I was initially going to post this under the GERD forum but this is a more general concern.

Around the last week of November I had chest pains accompanied by muscle weakness in the arms and legs. My entire body would also break out in pins and needles every now and then. Had a complete blood test done along with an ECG.

The results of the ECG shows that my heart is fine, and the blood test show that I had elevated triglycerides and high uric acid, so the doctor recommended some medicines to maintain and lower it. I took the uric acid for about two weeks and symptoms were gone. A few days after I stopped, though, the chest pains are back. I've been passing up gas by burping or belching and my stomach rumbles too.

The doctor I consulted just yesterday morning looked at the results of November and said it's probably GERD, and the numbness is caused by the high uric acid or anxiety. I admit that I do get anxious worrying about my condition. Gave me a proton pump medicine and I've been burping since this morning.

Thing is even when I'm sitting, I would feel pins and needles all over my body in various places. Sometimes in my right foot and the left side of my face, sometimes just on one hand, sometimes near my elbow. It's random and unpredictable, and some don't feel like prolonged pins and needles either, though they do feel uncomfortable. Some of my muscles randomly twitch, too. I would also get back pain and headaches at random points of the day.

I had similar symptoms in January but it passed eventually. We consulted with 4 doctors then, three general practitioners and one cardiologist, who all assured me my heart is fine. This time we consulted with three GPs to try and find me peace of mind and they tell me my heart is fine, too.

Is it possible that, as the last doctor (and most of the others too) said, this chest pain really is caused by GERD and the numbness by high uric levels/anxiety? It's just odd to be anxiety when all I'm doing is sitting reading a book or something similar. I'm afraid to do anything now in fear of passing out and dying of a heart attack or what.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

First and for most GERD certainly causes chest pain. Let's get that straight and GERD should pass on it's own in time, unless you have a hernia.

Now the real issue, hyperuricemia, or high uric acid is usually asymptomatic. Most symptoms are prevalent in other names, such as gout and usually characterised by pain or kidney problems. I would really pressure the doctors into checking the entirety of your system as high uric acid is not only caused by diet but also immune diseases, or kidney disease.

Numbness and pins and needles are not symptoms of those unless you have an underlying illness causing this. I would advise checking for diabetes. These symptoms show nerve damage, which could have many causes, but solely high uric acid and GERD are not causes in my eyes.

First doctor I went to before I got diagnosed with IBD, CFS and GERD told me it was probably just stress. I have when they pull the stress card, they use it far too much and dismissively. Honestly, unless a clinical psychologist confirms it is stress, discard that for now.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, and for clarifying my concerns. I did have blood tests done to rule out diabetes, and the results (as the doctors described) show that it's probably not the cause. Here are the "normal" results of my blood:

Hexokinase 4.91

Glycosylated Hb 4.00

BUN 4.90

Creatinine 100.00

I believe the latter two are regarding what can affect the Kidney.

I really appreciate the help, will see what can be done about the nerve issue, as you said. My father and grandfather do have diabetes, though, so perhaps I am at risk even if my blood results show okay.

• Posted

May I ask if you ever found out any more about this. I hope that you recovered well. I am having strange symptoms too for over a week. Gastritis, but I believe it was a reaction to a highly acidic potassium supplement I was taking. My blood work said I had acid in my blood (ketones) and my arms have been pins and needles especially when I lay down at night.

• Posted

hi there

i get chronic chest pain all the time

a crushing in my chest and out my back

i always am worried its a heart attack coz it can be so painful it panics me

i bought a bloodpressure / heartbeat moniter the ones u put on yr finger in the doctors office this has taken some of the stress/anxiety away

mine was a fiver on amazon and ut gives me peace of mind

i also installed a heart beat app that give me a mini ecg

yep, these flair ups are a scary and often

its not a nice comdition to have

ps sleep where u are propt up as high as you can as i find when i lay flat i get thw chest pain and pins needles etc

i have them now the left side if my face/cheek now

• Posted

I'm the same age and I'm having the same things!!! I'm pregnant which those things can be normal for pregnancy but i'm still a little worried...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.