GERD suffers...Has anyone been on Dexilant 60mg

Posted , 2 users are following.

Been on Dexilant for 30 days now...feel its not doing much...I do have headahes, fatique and my throat feels tight. So cant figure out if its my acid or if maybe Im allergic to Dexilant...Input PLEASE...

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Headaches etc may be side effects of the drug itself.

There are many different PPIs and all are as effective as each other when taken in equivalent doses but some patients may react to one more than another. The cheapest generic omeprazole is as effective as the most expensive Dexilant. See about trying a different one instead.

The attached graphic provides a  comparison chart (though with UK prices). 60mg dexlansoprazole is equivalent to 40 mg omeprazole / Prilosec.

• Posted

Thanks for the graph. Which have you tried and which do you find most effective???

My esphogus is feeling much better in the last 2 month...but still not 100%

I have recently been getting a lot of saliva through my mouth. 

From what you know...about how long does a damaged esophogus take to heal??

• Posted

I no longer need PPIs following a fundoplication 8 years ago. During the 15 years I was on PPIs, I was variously on omeprazole, lansoprazole and pantoprazole but for most of the time, omeprazole (which was gradually increased to 80mg).

These drugs reduce acid but may not reduce reflux: they just make it less harmful.

If you just have oesophagitis, it will usually heal within 2 or 3 weeks depending on degree of the oesophagtis. However, acid reflux can cause permanent damage, Barrett's Oesophagus, which won't "heal".

• Posted

I kind of want to stop the dexilant. I see the doc on the 16th and hopefully after that they give me a endoscopy.

May be just take Zantac for now. Or switch to Prilosec

VERY VERY FRUSTRATING

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.