GERD treatment side effects

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello. I know some of us here have had side effects from our meds but I wanna know if you guys got cleared from those or how long it lasted?

Here's my story.

I've been diagnosed with GERD by a doctor last month and he gave me Esomeprazole and told me to take it once a day for a month. So I did. The first time I took it, I didn't feel anything unusual. But few days later I started having:

-Nervousness

(I didn't realize it until later but I was scared to death then. I was praying to God all the time and I kept browsing the net like a madman for the symptoms that I've been having and I started thinking that what If I had parasites instead and now they're burrowing though my organs and are killing my body. And I said, I don't wanna die of parasite infestation what if I make the news that would be so embarrassing. hahaha. I was crazy! Still am! HELP! Every spot I see in my skin was making me crazy. I was paranoid)

-Muscle twitching and Leg cramps

(At first I thought It was from overwork because I work at our store and it's mostly manual labor like carrying heavy things and such. So I ignored it. But because of my nervousness about anything and everything I looked up my prescribed meds and its side effects. and Voila! I read the side effects and there they were, listed.)

-Muscle weakness

(sometimes at night when I get to bed my arms and legs feels so heavy and I feel very tired)

-UTI

Told my dad about it and he was like, you know, the doctor prescribed those meds to you because he knows it can do you better than harm. ANd me and my unstable mental health was like, no way man, You're not a doctor, I'm not listening to ya, I gotta go see one.

A day later, went to see a different doctor. Because the previous doctor was weird. Didn't talk much and just gave me meds. But this new doctor was the bomb! And it was like hitting the jackpot. A one in a million doctor. He cares deeply for his patients. I waited in line for 3 hours for my turn, talked to him for like 15 minutes. I told him about my symptoms and he asked me a bunch of questions and later I told him about my prescribed meds and its possible side effects on me and he was confused. He said from the thousands of patients he had given those meds, he never once ever encountered a patient that had such side effects from Esomeprazole (how unlucky of me if that were the case. lol). He told me to stop taking it and for my GERD, just becareful with what I eat, and observe for a few days. Few days later, the nervousness calmed down a little bit (at least I think so), the UTI was sort of milder maybe from drinking lots of water BUT the muscle twitching and leg cramps were still there. Went to see him and he told me to get a series of lab test (blood, urine, fecalysis, ultrasound) All of them were great except for my urine because I still had UTI issues, And this doctor was curious as hell and asked me how I am handling my GERD and I told him I still get chest discomforts after eating so he advised to lose weight and eat the healthiest foods we can afford but he still wants me to get this lab test which costs a lot, like a lot a lot, because he thinks that the twitching and cramps didn't come from esomeprazole. He really is a great doctor, I can feel his sincerity but I think the test he's asking is ridiculous. I'm thinking of seeing a different doctor again and If I don't like the next one maybe get tested and come back to him. Or maybe see a neurologist (just thinking this scares the hell out of me). HELP!

I read from a previous threads that cramps and twitching really are side effects experienced by many of us, but does it eventually go away? I was on esomeprazole for about 3 weeks before I stopped and it's more than a week now and I still get the muscle twitches at night and leg cramps even during the day. My GERD is manageable (thank you Lord God) but the cramps and twitches are going to break me. sad

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had them for 4 months or so but I think they were because of my negative thinking about those meds which is called Anxiety.

Once I relaxed and accepted the medication in my mind and accepted the fact that I'll be on them forever the cramps-twitches went away.

A minority has side effects from this drugs. I would suggest you pantoprazole it is also a PPI.  

If you have side effects from esomeprazole then go to pantoprazole/omeprazole/lansoporazole or something simillar.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, I'm glad to know that they go away. I'm gonna do my best and start thinking positively from now. I'm not gonna lose to GERD nor lose my mind thinking about the side effects. smile

I hope we all feel better. Bless us.

• Posted

I also thought it is never going to go away but I was wrong, they do come back again but again go away and so on and so on. It's all in your head believe it or not..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.