Gerds and nexium

Posted , 6 users are following.

Happy New Year all well i spent my NYE am in the hospital getting an endoscopy for my gerds.  I have been on nexium 40 mg generic prescription for three month,  i was feeling better and recently ran out so i thought i would try the otc nexium 20 mg,  big mistske the dry cough and chest pain came right back,  i am eating healthy little coffee and little alcohol but no chocolate and spicy food, red sauces .  Still not feeling good,  i have been to a primary dr , internist, gi dr and cardiologist,  my scope showed my stomach and esphogus normal alittle thickening which she biopsied so we will see.  I was low on vitamin d so i now take a pill once a week..  Does anyone have arm and back pain too? I do not burb alot so its strange,  i am not severally overweight but could lose 30 pds

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Why do you only take vitamin D once a week?

I was low, I took 5000 daily for several months, then dropped to 2000 UI or what ever the unit is, sorry I'm in bed or I'd go look it up.  I got vit D checked again and it was good. 

i can not help with other questions but I do have mild acid reflux as they put it, very annoying, no matter what I eat I feel odd flutter in my esophagus. 

Drinking 2 oz. of aloe Vera has helped calm it down.  I drink it before eating anything in morning. Sometimes another ounce in afternoon. I too have maybe an ounce of strong coffee. And like you avoid acid foods and spicy, though today I broke down and ate jalapeño potatoe chips, felt it later. Ugh. 

• Posted

My dr gave me a prescription vit d so its one time every 7 days. It has helped i have tried the aloe although not steady but thanks i will do this 
    • Posted

Here in the states I buy a gallon size of juice for $10 at Walmart, also have seen it at Walgreens stores.

• Posted

Hi you are not alone I was on omprazole 40mg and been off for a week now and still not feeling right yet.
  • Posted

Hi...Acid refux seems to be very complex for many people.  Mine is a very bad cough...and I mean very grim, choking.....a cough so severe I can be sick.  Not really enjoying food.....phlegm is also a big issue.  All in all very grim.....effects my whole life and well being....Anyone else the same?  
    • Posted

Hi my cough is controlled with nexium. The phlegm too 
  • Posted

You need to determine whether your problems are mainly due to acid or reflux.

For mst people, the problem is the reflux through the lower oesophageal sphincter which will carry any stomach contents up the oesophagus and if it breaches the upper oesophageal sphincter as well, can be aspirated to cause respiratory problems. (See the chapter on Extra-oesophageal reflux in the www DownWithAcid org uk book.)

PPIs are good at reducing acid so the reflux will be less damaging to the oesophagus, reducing the risk of developing oesophageal cancer.

• Posted

Hi..thank you for your reply .I have a cough that starts in the stomach area, I can feel it building up......this meets the phlegm (sorry I know this is gross), then watch out, i sound like I have smoked 100 a day for years (I am a non smoker).  Exhausting.  Not lying down too soon after eating helps. I also use my own breathing techniques wgich help me from time to time.  I just wish it would go away.  I take medication and of course galviston.
    • Posted

I fully sympathise. The cough was always my worst symptom. I'd cough to the point of passing out at least once a day and sit up for a couple of hours at night coughing and swigging far too much cough suppressant.

I was on very high dose (80mg) omeprazole which reduced my acid (making me anaemic from indused hypochlorhydria) and tried all the lifestyle advice.

For me, the eventual solution was a fundoplication (reflux reduction surgery) which gave me my life back.

• Posted

Thank you, you are the first person who I have come across who  has my symptoms. I can almost pass out in terms of going really light headed and trying to catch my breath is hard. I  feel one day I am going to either choke to death or not recover from a coughing fit.  Did you ever find it difficult to speak when you can feel a cough brewing, I guess that's the acid moving up. I can be in a supermarket and unable to speak  when  I can  feel the cough coming as I am trying to supress it. 
    • Posted

So far we will see whst my dr said but thanks for thr book referral i will read it.  I am losing weight i was never fat but due to stress at work packed on 40 pds,  i have lost 20 i am 5'2 so need to be about 120-130  i am trying to come to terms with not taking my work home . My internist said i am healthy just advices watch food no fried alcohol, coffee, choco alot of my favorite things 
    • Posted

Yes. If a coughing fit is coming on, it can be difficult.

I was a teacher and known for my cough. It got quite difficult at times, I didn't dare eat or drink anything until after school as I knew it would be impossible to talk.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.