Get a grip on this! My GP wanted...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi folks!

I went to my gp to check and see if I had an upper respiratory infection. It's just a common cold, but my bp went up to 174/92 from 158/86 a few weeks ao. I posted in another discussion, that I have weaned myself off of the 5 mg of amlodipine. When she saw my newest readings, she wanted to increase the dosage to 10mg!!! I told her of the way that I have been experiencing with zoning out and stuff. She said that she has some of her patients who are on the meds and don't experience what I am going through. She said that it could also be anxiety. She also encouraged me to take the meds at night.  Suggestions?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rozanne321...I'm not surprised that your bp went up from 174/92 from 158/86.

Whenever the body is fighting something, the bp goes up. I'm also a little surprised your doctor didn't suggest this to you, or to even suggest you wait 'til the cold is gone before increasing the bp meds. While some people don't experience what you're going through (re the meds) that doesn't mean what you may be experiencing is all in your head. We are all different. What does the doctor think taking the meds at night will do? Settle you down???  Why not suggest to her that before the meds are increased..wait 'til the cold is gone??

• Posted

Hi Mike!

Happy New Year!

I never thought that because my body is fighting something that my bp would go up.My temp was 98.3  Oh and I told her, and not to be disgusting about thie, that the phlegm from my nostrils ahs been clear, but when I cough, it's like a pale yellow. This morning it's a pale yellow from either source, but I am able to get rid of it. She didn't put me on any medications for that. She wants me to take benadryl, but she said that this would make me very sleepy. I am taking in lots of fluids, orange juice, you know, the stuff that folks do to get rid of a cold.

She did suggest that I might take the meds at night before I go to bed. I'm thinking, what would happen if my bp goes too low that something happens to me in bed? My daughter would freak out if I didn't wake up because my meds made me zonk out!

I might take them later in the day, when I know that I'm neither going anyplace nor doing anything that will need my undivided attention. And I will be able to tell my daughter that I have been taking my meds this late in the day and she won't freak out. Any other suggestions?

• Posted

Your doctor may have SUGGESTED Benadryl...& yes, it may make you sleepy, but before you take any over the counter medications, consult with the PHARMACIST. THEY are the doctors of the medicines, & know more about them than your doctor. A lot of OTC's can & do interfere with bp medications, so you must be careful. I think what you're doing is best...lots of fluids, oj, rest. Don't worry about taking your meds at night rather than in the day time. I know a lot of people who do this without a problem. Don't take the meds in the morning...take them at bedime. Just pretend you forgot to take the meds in the morning as usual. This is a good way of turning things around without running the risk of double-dosing.
    • Posted

I was thinking the same thing about taking the meds at night. Maybe when I have my dinner. And as far as the benadryl and other meds... I love my pharmacists! I can ask any questions and I feel that they won't steer me wrong. Even when I told them that I didn't want the flonase or try and get through this cold without any OTC's, they were okay with it and put it on file, just in case I changed my mind to take it.

I am doing good with following the plenty of fluids, rest and relaxation thing. I don't sound like a bass singer in my old choir at school! Ha ha!!!

• Posted

Hi Mike!

I have started taking my meds around 2 or 3 in the afternoon because by the time it hits my system, I will be done with all of any driving for the day. I have started taking the 2.5 mgs. instead of the whole 5.0 mgs. And I have also started taking Coricidin HBP Chest Congestion and Cough, one tablet at a time to help get rid of the mucus that I have been trying to cough up. And I am still taking fluids, o.j. and trying to get a little more rest. I thought that I would bring you up to date on what has been happening. Any thoughts?

• Posted

Hi Rozanne....

I was just reading what Marco wrote to you, & I do agree with what he says. If a medicine isn't agreeing with you for whatever reason, just because it has a high sucess rate or whatever, doesn't mean it's good for YOU, especially if/when you are have side effects that make you miserable. I have a cousin & a few friends who are on the Amlodipine, & they don't have any problems at all. The cousin takes 2.5mgs 2x/day while the friend takes the 10mgs. Although the 10mgs. is more notorious for causing the side effects, especially the swollen feet/ankles/legs, she doesn't have a problem. This to me, is a classic example of what Marco says..we are all different. What's good for one, is horrid for another. I too think you should insist that your doctor prescribe something else.

As for taking the meds in the afternoon hours, I don't think it matters much when you take them as long as you're consistent. The b/p meds won't make you drowsy unless this is a side effect that bothers you. 

Glad you got the HBP Coricidin Chest Congestion & Cough medicine. It was a great thing brining out an OTC for us folks on bp meds. I've yet to see this in Canada, but perhaps I'm not looking in the right place. Those of us with high b/p must be very careful with OTC medications. 

It's my plan to get of the Amlodipine, but can't do so for another 2-3 weeks, BUT I will insist that I be closely supervised while we try to see if indeed it's the Amlodipine that's causing the burning sensations in my feet/legs. I'm hoping this is the case. It's most uncomfortable to be walking round, then I can feel the heat starting, or I can simply be sitting with my feet on the automan watching tv...then the heat will start. 

In any event, please keep us informed as to how you're doing. We must stick together on this. Amlodipine is not the be all & end all of bp medications!!!!!! lol lol

• Posted

Hi Mike!

Well, I went for my blood work yesterday and am waiting on the results. This ought to be interesting. I am no longer taking the Coricidin since I am no longer coughing. When I do have the occasional cough and am able to get the mucus out of me, it's usually clear and thin. But, occasionally, when I have to blow my nose and not that hard, I sometimes pat the inside of my nose in my nostril, there's a little blood. I think I might have broken some blood vessels. Does amlodipine thin the blood or is it considered a blood thinner or anything like that?  I called my gp to let her know that the blood work was done.

Yesterday, I was doing a lot of walking with my daughter, we had a few places to go to and get things done. And I noticed that my legs were sore. I don't go out much because of the lack of personal transportation/car and I am thinking that it's because of all of the walking that I did. The pain wasn't excruciating, maybe just a little un-nerving. No tingling, just well, like my feet felt like they were still in my sneakers.

Once I find out the results of the blood work, I am going to have a chat with my gp to see if I can get off this medication. I still don't trust it. I am taking something close to 1/4 of the 5.0 mg pill a day. I am doing this because I want to see if there has been any change in my liver or kidneys or anything else. I haven't felt ant difference in my body or anything, but I still don't like the prospects of being on this medicine.

I am still trying to get some sort of home monitor because my daughter goes back to college locally and I want to keep tabs on my bp. She would get confused on using the sphygnomenometer/stethescope.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, last week, I had the sensation of coldness going from my feet to the mid section of my legs, but it was like it was gong up a thin portion of my leg, like a vein/nerve. It only lasted a few seconds every now and then in one day. I also noticed that I have betting a twitch in my left thumb where it was damaged in an accident years ago. And I haven't had it happen to me in a long time. I am wondering if that is caused by the medicine. I've been reading that there have been some folks that have some possible nerve damage from taking this medication.

I like what you said when you said that amlodipine is not the be all and end all of bp medications.

Ok Mike, I look forward to your and anyone elses response to this post. I really like to get other peoples' experiences. Thanks in advance!

• Posted

Hey Rozanne...I would hazzard a guess that what you might be experiencing is not related to the Amlodipine. It could be nerves, just as you suggested. If you are taking such a low dosage of the Amlodipine now, why not just stop it completely?

The blood saw after blowing your nose, could possibly be that it is dry in your home, which is a very common thing, unless of course there is a fair amount of blood. Dont be surprised if your doctor asks you this question.

• Posted

Yes your GP is probably right in saying that some of her patients are ok on Amplodipine but drugs affect different people in different ways and GPs, in my experience, don't seem to understand this. Refer her to this message board and ask your GP to change your Amplodipine to another BP drug, there are plenty out there. If she doesn't agree insist, she's there to serve you not the other way round.
    • Posted

Hi Marco~

Happy New Year!

I agree with you...she wasn't demaening when she told me this. But it was as though that she just wanted me to keep taking it. Like I had mentioned to Mike, she suggested that I take it at night, right before I go to bed. But I have some reservations.

I forgot to mention that I am going to get some bloodwork done to check things along with my liver and kidney function. I can't  wait for this! I haven't had any bloodwork done in a while. I need to know some of the numbers that have been concerning me. This ought to be interesting.

• Posted

I love how Drs seem to assume that all of their patients tolerate all the drugs they prescribe without a problem.  In fact, mine deny MY complaints based on what OTHERS have told them.  When I complained of symptoms, they refered me to a psychiatrist, who only added MORE drugs, and which only complicated my suffering.  Now I'm suffering from withdrawal from everything.  I decided to take my chances.  I figure, I'm either meant to be alive or I'm not.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.