Get to know about Hypothyroidism

Posted , 1 user is following.

I am seeing a 27-year-old woman for potential life partner. She is 5'3" tall and weighs 55kg. She has subclinical hypothyroidism as per her doctor and takes 25mcg of Thyroxine daily according to it.

History:

• Diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism a couple of years ago after some weight gain and hair loss.
  • Initial TSH was 8mIU/L when diagnosed.
  • Doctor prescribed 25mcg Thyroxine.
  • Current TSH is around 2.5mIU/L roughly with the medication.
  • Family history of hypothyroidism (mother and grandmother).

Questions:

1. How serious is subclinical hypothyroidism and overt hypothyroidism? What are the common symptoms and implications?
  2. Is it curable or lifelong medication needed?
  3. Any pregnancy complications or risks of passing to child?
  4. Is TSH of 8mIU/L diagnostic of subclinical or overt hypothyroidism? I came across few articles online stating that subclinical hypothyroidism is when TSH is high but no symptoms and TSH above 5mIU/L is overt hypothyroidism.
  5. How much chances are there for subclinical hypothyroidism to turn into overt hypothyroidism?
  6. Can she live a healthy life with medication and monitoring without any symptoms and implications?
  7. Any dietary restrictions or other special care needed besides medication?

I would appreciate any advice from doctors or others knowledgeable about managing subclinical hypothyroidism. Please advise if this condition is something to be concerned about for her health or our future children.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.