Getting 2nd knee replaced

Posted , 9 users are following.

Having 2nd Knee replacement on Tuesday of next week. Left one was done 10 weeks ago Nov 8th 2016. This has gone well and I hope the 2nd goes as well or better. Any body that had both done over this time frame can you give me some insight on your process.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Had bilateral in the summer. Keep on doing the exercises and stretches. You need patience more than ever. Good luck.
  • Posted

My friend did 8 weeks apart. She is doing well. We went to lunch after PT. She drove, b4 the snow came, at 4 weeks. She takes her pain meds, does exercises3-4times a day x on PT days because it wipes her out. She. intermittently uses her walker , depending on distance shes walking. Still gets swelling. She's a pretty calm person and calls our surgeries "a saga". All the usual is happening like her first surgery but she gets around pretty well. Hope this helps. She was discharged home day after surgery, only one night in hospital.

• Posted

Hi Buddy!

My two TKRs were three and a half months apart in 2015. I was VERY excited to be getting my second TKR done because it was really holding me back! My surgical leg was heavy and stiff, but my awful pain was gone. My not-yet-replaced right knee was misbehaving badly and really dragging me down.

I was very pleasantly surprised how much easier my second surgery went! I could move my leg up and down and back and forth even in the recovery room. This TOTALLY surprised me because my FIRST knee (actually my WHOLE LEG!) felt like a tree trunk filled with cement. THIS one felt better by Weeks right at the beginning. Also surprising to me was that although my second knee was my WORST knee, it was my best of the two following surgery.

You never know how things will go. You just have to deal with the hand you are given and move on from there.

I did SIX MONTHS total of physical therapy between the two knees. Strength training, stretching, and balance exercises were VERY, VERY helpful! I did a lot of practice walking around the house and then ventured into my yard to tend to my garden, weed, trim etc. I walked in my bare feet as much as I could because I wanted to really FEEL my heel touching the surface and then rolling to my toes. I kept asking my family how I looked walking. For years I had developed a strange gait because I was in such pain.

I really worked hard in PT and tried to hydrate well, eat good foods, and stay as positive as I could. I prayed a lot and also kept a daily journal to record my progress.

Wishing you much success as you head to your second surgery on Tuesday! Let us know how you are doing!💗

• Posted

Thanks for the follow up and encouragement. Looking forward to having them both done and on my way to recovery.

Like you my 2nd Replacement is the worst Knee and I hope to have same results you had.

• Posted

having my second done in three weeks hope ours are even better the fird=st!

• Posted

Sending well wishes for quick healing! My first TKR was 12/5/16 and looking to have second TKR when things settle with the first. Will yours then be 12 weeks apart?
    • Posted

Tammy

Thanks for the well wishes / Had my 1st one 10 weeks on Tuesday / The only problem is still sleeping at night but it has been a good recovery so far and I hope to have the same or better results on number two this Tuesday. I wish I was 10 weeks out on my 2nd Knee as well but will start that process on Tuesday

• Posted

Having my second done in two weeks. I hope I have a better recovery than the first, which I had done in 2015. This knee is also worse than my first, but just wanting to get my life back so I can do a few trips. 

Good luck everyone.

I will be back for updates and support next month.

• Posted

Jenny wish you the best on your 2nd Replacement. You said getting your life back. I think all of us that are going through this wants a better life and to be able to do things with our family and feel good about ourselves. I guess the great thing is we live in a world today that gives us an opportunity to have our Knees replaced that will better our life. getting the left one done on Tuesday
  • Posted

Hi buddy

I had my 2 hips done 8 weeks apart then found out both knees needed done. My last hip op was at end of feb last year and l got my 1st knee done in august. I have struggled with my knee the pain seem a lot worse and it gets really stiff and my ankle gets sore but l think this is because l have had hip and knee done in one leg. My other knee l am.holding off getting it done as lon as possible as 3 surgeries in 9 months was hard going. I am back at work part time but will have to get knee dine at some point although l amm dreading it. I think its harder because l have new hips. Hope it goes as good as your 1sr .

I never expected at 43 l would have all my joints replaced lol

Good luck

Laura

• Posted

Best of luck to you with the second knee.  I just had the first done January 5th and am hoping to get the second one done in March. I'm anxious to see how it goes with you. I am a 52 years old active woman, not an athlete but keep myself healthy and active.  I was well-prepared for the first. Did lots of swimming and was strong. I'm afraid that will not be the case with the second one. Right now 11 days out from first TKR, trying to take pain meds before PT only and following their instructions.

All the best to you! 

• Posted

I am 10 weeks from my 1st one and doing well. Just have pain at night that affects my sleep but overall very pleased with the results so far. Getting past 4 weeks is big - It starts getting better and better week by week after that. I am planning on the 2nd one being better than the 1st and to gain back the freedom of my legs. The PT is very important and you need push yourself but also give your knee time to rest to heal. It is a balancing act of rest and working out.
  • Posted

My doctor had suggested doing the second at 8 weeks. My concern is having the first be strong enough. Not sure if that's enough time to rehab and strengthen where I think I should be. How old are you, if you don't mind. And do you think you would've been ready at 8 weeks?  Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.