Getting a little worried...

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Barrett's about a year ago. In the last couple weeks I have been under a lot of stress and I have developed a pain in my chest just on the left inside chest area. Sometimes my stomach area will hurt as well. I also have a small cough developing.

i went to the doctor and he didn't seem concerned. I've been on 20mg Omeprizol but just upped it to 40 after the doctor visit. Should I be concerned it is something more (like cancer?) the pain has been there for almost 2 weeks now and has me scared. Also the hospital sent me a reminder to go have my Barrett's checked out... but I did it a year ago?

whats going on? Is the pain just a flair up? Getting a yearly check up is super expensive as last time it cost me $1700 USD

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I get this pain a lot particularly when stressed, I think I'm right in saying gerd/gord is made worse by stress so so I wouldn't worry too much as the worry could make the symptoms worse.

• Posted

Same with me as i have a lot of other health problems on top of Barrets which has stressed me so like you it has affected me badly,my gp just tells me not to get stressed,easier said than done when you are not sure what is going on.
  • Posted

You should not be worrying about cancer if you had an endsocopy a year ago. I don't know your true diagnosis of Barrett's but If it is just Barrett's (I don't know your size) neverthless the size of it, it's practically imposible to get cancer in a year. you should check your esophagus in year from now. I've had chest pain as well and went for another endoscopy just to be diagnosed with gerd grade 1 (I've also had Barrett's prior to the endoscopy). Take your meds and don't worry. If the situtation get's more and more bad then just go to your GP and tell him everything and see what he says...

• Posted

Stress often causes flare ups with me. The pain under your chest is most likely reflux... I get pain right under my sternum and sometimes up
  • Posted

Keep getting your scopes for sure, but don't freak out when things flare up. Stay on your meds. I'm on a high dose of omeprezol and still occasionally get painful flare ups. Chest pain and hoarseness are fairly common.

• Posted

This is good to know guys. Thank you.
  • Posted

I get chest pains too sometimes. It just depends what you ate that day. It's normal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.