Getting a mastectomy after DCIS diagnosis

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi. I was diagnosed with dcis in October and had a lumpectomy but 17 of the 18 slides came back positive. at this point it is still dcis and not invasive. so it recommende by a panel of doctors that I have a mastectomy and I'm getting very scared. my surgery is January 4th.

I've met with the plastic surgeon and I have a pre-op appointment with my breast surgeon next week. the doctors are all friends of mine as well as colleagues of my husband. I'm confident that I'm going to be getting the best medical care. that doesn't make this any easier for me. I just don't think I'm mentally ready to wake up and see me not having a breast. the plastic surgeon said that he will have the expander in place during that surgery and it will be expanded to almost a full b cup. i just need some advice and encouragement. thank you all?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Tammy,

Firstly I would like to say how sorry I am to hear that it is necessary for you to have a mastectomy. I know how you feel because I had one 22 years ago at the age of 26.

Back then I have to admit that I was more concerned about mortality and the effect it would have on my family rather than the removal of the breast, but it is a huge thing to happen to a woman, and yes I admit it does have it's challenges. However it is not as bad as you first think.

I was lucky in a way and didn't have the chance to worry about when I was going to look at the area where my breast once was. I had a very loose dressing around the scar and the first time I got out of bed after the operation and went to clean my teeth, as I bent down the bandage sagged away from my body and there it was. I remember thinking "well that's not as bad as I thought it would be". I had what looked like a long worm across where my left breast used to be which went from under my left armpit to my sternum. The skin was raised to look like a worm due to the staples along the scar. I also remember thinking how neat it was. I believe looking at it immediately was a real positive.

It also helped me to go and see a couple of friends of my Mum who had also had mastectomy's before the operation. They were very open and just took out their prosthesis's and showed me their scars. This helped me to become mentally prepared for what was to come. With your friends being in the medical profession hopefully they can point you in the right direction to do the same?

The best advice I can give you is to stick to your excercise's once the operation is over to help to regain full movement. It really is worth the discomfort.

I decided to leave myself with no breast, unfortunately as a Grade 3 I had to have radiotherapy on the area straight away and therefore an expander was not a option for me. Therefore I cannot advise in this area. By the time an operation was offered I was used to what I had and did not want another scar on my back or stomach area to make a new one.

I believe you will be surprised by how strong you will be. It is the wondering that is the worst part. After living with no breast for so long I can give you lots of advice. Keep in touch if I can help.

Take care of yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.