Getting a second opinion

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

I recently presented to a thyroid clinic after an ultrasound scan showed swelling on my thyroid.

I have been experiencing symptoms which I believe are thyroid related including weight gain (and not been able to lose), cold hands and feet, brain fog, change in mood and fatigue. When I discussed these issues with the endocrinology registrar, they were rather dismissive of these symptoms because my scan and TSH (2.71) were "normal" and was discharged back to my GP.

I was very anxious and upset at the appointment because I was relying on this appointment to resolve this issues and also waited 4 months to be seen. I was even told to consider counselling because I was so emotional! In terms of weight loss, I was simply told to "try harder" even though I have made drastic changes, including going gluten and dairy free and vegetarian and being more physically active.

I spoke to one of the Doctors I work with and they mentioned that although there's a possibility this doctor may be right and that everything is "normal" I could always get a second opinion. I asked my GP and registrar about having the T3/T4/thyroid antibodies being tested but was denied these tests so I am considering getting these tests done privately.

Has anyone ever had to get a second opinion and have further investigations? Is it worth going for these additional tests? I have been finding this whole experience so overwhelming and wanted to ask what others what done in this situation. I know something is not quite right and know my body well but on the other hand I am bit apprehensive about kicking up such a fuss and paying a lot of money for additional tests (and wondering what if these tests come back normal...)

Thank you so much in advance

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

HI,

I too have hypothyroidism and had a consultation with an endocrinologist who also found my blood picture was within range but found my cortisol level was low.

I then had my adrenal gland tested (acth) This was ok so I'm waiting to have a glucagon test to see if I have a problem with the pituatry.

I hope you find an endo who will give you the tests you require.

• Posted

It sounds like hashimotos. I've been properly diagnosed with hypothyroidism for 5 years but my levels seem go up and down.

After my initial diagnosis I stopped taking my medication as it was making my hair loss worse but I continued to get my levels checked and they were normal even though I wasn't taking my medication at the time.

I'm taking the medication now but I still have all the symptoms you describe. Unfortunately levothyroxine doesn't alleviate the symptoms of hypothyroidism for everyone.

I hope you manage to get a definitive diagnosis. Keep on at your GP for tests, get your test results and post here for opinions you may be able to convince your doctor to treat you anyway if your results are borderline.

All the best.

• Posted

Hello G83142,

what you experience is pretty typical. A large percentage of thyroid patients have tests that fall in normal ranges. In fact you can have advanced thyroid disease and still show normal blood work.

if your thyroid gland is swollen, you have thyroid disease. The questions are how advanced is it, and how are you going to treat it?

My experience has been that thyroid medication lowers TSH, but doesn't really treat thyroid disease, and doesn't really alleviate symptoms because thyroid medication triggers autoimmune disease and suppresses the body's thyroid function.

I've looked at causes of thyroid disease- everything from gut problems leading to malnutrition, to chemical exposure/toxicty, to whiplash and even sinus/ear infections.

I've found essential amino acids, a strict glutenfree diet, lits of exercise, acupuncture, and herbs and supplements have been extremely helpful in treating and reversing thyroid disease.

• Posted

Hi - sorry your getting the run around from the medical profession, they do make you feel like your a hypochondriac sometimes.

I have had 7/8ths of my thyroid removed 30 years ago. It is only now after this length of time that I have started to learn about my own thyroid health and discover what's right for me I had full thyroid and vitamin test done privately which showed how low my vitamins were. I posted my results on Thyroid UK site and was given invaluable advice. That may be the way for you to go. Good luck.

• Posted

Maybe being a nondairy eating vegetarian is not the optimal way to go if you're concerned about your thyroid and allover health. With complaints of cold hands and feet maybe you should have active B12 and serum folate tests done. Have you had a CBC recently? How is your red blood cell count and hemoglobin/hematocrit? Iron and ferritin ? Your problems may not be thyroid related. Your symptoms are common in people without thyroid issues. Maybe too many cruciferous vegetables could be slowing down your thyroid functioning. Not to mention unfermented soy products.

• Posted

Maybe being a nondairy eating vegetarian is not the optimal way to go if you're concerned about your thyroid and allover health. With complaints of cold hands and feet maybe you should have active B12 and serum folate tests done. Have you had a CBC recently? How is your red blood cell count and hemoglobin/hematocrit? Iron and ferritin ? Your problems may not be thyroid related. Your symptoms are common in people without thyroid issues. Maybe too many cruciferous vegetables could be slowing down your thyroid functioning. Not to mention unfermented soy products.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.