Getting a virus on top of CFS??

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

Recently my partner had a cold and I think I may have caught it as well (though I went through extreme lengths to try and not catch it). I don't really have any cold symptoms that he was having however I keep feeling as if i am on the verge of getting sick and my fatigue has greatly intensified like I am in a crash or something. A few of my other CFS symptoms have intensified as well. This is the first time I have gotten sick/been exposed to a cold/flu since i have gotten CFS. Just wondering if anyone gets similar symptoms or crashing instead of actually getting the typical cold or flu symptoms? How long does this generally last?

I hope this makes sense!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Edited

Post viral onset of ME is likely the most common.

I believe any flare trigger is a cause, and the flu can put me down for a couple of months

I got the shot last year, a mild trigger itself. I took it easy afterwards and did fine, unlike a previous year when I got sick about ten days after the shot, likely due an immune drop

I'm just recovering from this year's, but it was mild. I am still staying isolated as Coronavirus is starting to circulate.

One of the most difficult things about Brain fog is self care when you are sick. Don't forget to stay hydrated, etc.

• Edited

Yes, Samantha! I often feel the same as you. I am a part-time teacher, so I'm exposed to all kind of germs. I usually get weird flu-like symptoms and my CFS symptoms are worse than ever- almost like I'm crashing hard. I have to remind myself that I will get better with time. Just pace yourself, drink lots of water, and take Vitamin C and Zinc (both are so helpful). Sometimes, I end up getting a "real" cold or flu and that makes my CFS symptoms flare up and I feel even worse than the average person. Hope you feel better soon. KPD

• Posted

Good to know i'm not the only one then, how long does the crash usually last for you? I understand everyone is different but i'm having trouble trying to find much information about it, even my doctor doesn't really know much in general about CFS.

• Edited

I think it depends on the actual virus that you're fighting. Some of my crashes have lasted longer than others. It's so hard to say. Are you running a fever? Do you have any symptoms that can actually be treated? If so, I'd see a doctor for treatment. If not, I'd just keep taking Vitamin C, drinking plenty of fluids, and get plenty of rest. Unfortunately, most doctors know very little to nothing about CFS. Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

No fever or anything just more severe CFS symptoms. its slowly getting better but im still not back to where i was its been almost 2 weeks.

• Edited

My husband is down with a cold (we hope it is just a cold and not the corona) and I get cold symptoms on and off, fever like heating on and off. Worse tiredness.

I do not know what is going on, but is sounds something like what you are experiencing.

• Edited

Yes it does sound similar to what i am experiencing. Thanks for your response 😃

• Edited

When i try to communicate what ME is I describe it as how you feel after the flu or a bad cold, but it lasts longer and can be triggered by other things.

Recovery takes time, don't rush it. With experience you'll get a sense of how much something effects you, good or bad.

FWIW I do a homemade chicken soup almost every day of the year, with the anti-inflammatory spice Turmeric.

• Posted

I do use turmeric in my cooking sometimes, I should probably try to use it more often

• Edited

Hi Samantha987,

That's me all over. I've had CFS for about 13 years now and whenever I get a common cold, it affects me like I've just got the flu. Thankfully for me, the worst of it usually clears in 2-3 days, but it's still annoying.

• Edited

That is helpful to me that you asked this question now. I was just wondering the same thing. I recently had to take my mom to the hospital and she has a cough, URI. (I've been helping her take breathing treatments at her home.) I've been bedridden the last couple of days with weakness and body aches and I was wondering if I'm coming down with some cold or flu or it's the ME symptoms. It sounds like exposures that trigger the immune system can cause flare-ups, as I have no fever or cough.

I hope you feel better 😃

• Edited

Yes this sounds like what i was experiencing. slowly getting better (its been almost 2 weeks for me) but still not back to where i was at prior to this crash.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.