Getting an MRI but I'm allergic to the dye....HELP!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this question..... I need to go in for an MRI for my liver. (Ultrasound found tumors). My doctor issued me an MRI with Contrast dye. I let him know that I am severly allergic to Thallium and Myoview (other contrast dyes).... he said that MRI uses Gadolinium which has different properties and though it's risky, it's better than having cancer and not knowing about it. I tried to get him to tell me any other options but he insist on the MRI with contrast dye. I am afraid I will die or go into a coma etc.... I nearly died on Thallium and Myoview which the doctors said the risk of that happening were very rare. But, they did happen to me. Do you have any advice you can give? I feel I am trapped and I don't have any options....  If there is any advice you can give that would be great!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi carrie. I think you shd go, but tell the people there that you are severely allergic to contrast dyes, and you need careful observation while the dye is administered in case you shd become ill. Also, have a relative go with you in case they do not observe closely enough. Not sure if this is the right thing, but think it would help a lot. Best wishes, harrishill
  • Posted

You will have to fill in a safety questionnaire before you have the scan, make sure you state your previous reactions and how bad they were. The radiology staff will know if the ingredients are similar to the ones you were allergic to before. They also have the right to overrule the Dr and refuse to administer contrast if they believe it's too dangerous.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.