Getting better

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

i broke my fibula 8 weeks ago.  I was told I would walk in 6 weeks.  Unfortunately it took 8.  Now walking slowly with a cane.  I am writing to encourage others through this frustrating and depressing process.  I was happy to find this site to realize others were having a hard time coping both physically and mentally.  Hang in there. It has gotten better for me and it will for you. If you have pain rest, ice and elevate. I was amazed what an additional day or 2 of resting can do.  Your body is a miracle that is struggling to heal.  Have faith that it will.  Last week I was in a wheelchair and this week I am walking with a cane.  May PT they told me when I healed more my recovery would progress rapidly.  It did. Hang it there it gets better.

3 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I agree. 5 months later for me and my legs are weak. I took my time on getting back to walking and excersizing and wish I'd been a little more aggressive due to my atrophied calf and leg. The pain I experienced only seemed to last a day or two then would go away. In hind sight, wish I'd known how wonderfully our bodies heal. Can you imagine if we broke our leg and it stays that way for the rest of our lives?????  These are miracle suits we have if we only take care of them.
  • Posted

Thank you for the encouragement !  I am on my third week post-op, finally got staples and cast off yesterday, feeling much better...I agree it is a slow and frustrating process but all we need is faith and patience. I wish everybody a speedy recovery.
    • Posted

Certainly plenty of patience. Four months saw a turning point for me. Just returned to work after nearly six months. I do a lot of standing so have the expected swollen ankle. Having something else to focus on is helping. Still walking with a limp but so greatful to be back on feet again. 

It all just takes time, best done at our own pace. 

• Posted

I was at 6 weeks stage before my cast came off, staples were at week 2 post op, so you are doing really well. It is slow and not being able to do the everyday basics in life infuriated me. Once I was back driving I started to notice big improvements, I think when you get your independence back the depression moods seemed to become less, and was happy to get out and about. I hope you carry on with your progress
    • Posted

I agree with the level of patience required when breaking an ankle. I saw big improvements after 3 months and returned to work after 3.5 months.

I do a lot of driving/walking/standing so naturally I have the swollen ankle all of the time. I'm still walking with a limp, but as you say it's the getting back on your feet, the independence and the ability to pay bills. A lesson for us all is don't take our bodies for granted and abuse them, as one day things can and have changed to make people appreciate what they had.

• Posted

I am pleased that you are now walking, it's all positive progress. I'm at just over 7 months stage post op, and although was back at work mid January, done myself no favours. I was advised by my doc to go back part time and on light duties. After week 1 was back to normal doing in excess of 50 hours

Im still having 30 mins physio every 3 weeks. The swelling is with me 24/7 just hoping for the swelling to reduce, then I will be happy

• Posted

I had swelling a few weeks after the cast came off. The doc/surgeon said it was a bit worse than normal. I made an appointment with my chiroprators to have the ankle adjusted. Low pops but immediately swelling went down. Bones healed but obviously still out of place enough to block lymph movement. Not too many people in this forum mention chiropractors????.  Made sense to me and help tremendously.

i was walking with a limp until I conciously starters walking WITH the ball of my foot. No ball, weird gate, limp. Try it. 

• Posted

I have an issue with swelling, never reduced since op end of Sept last year.

I hadn't considered a chiropractor till you have mentioned it, but will give it a try as it worked for me when I has a trapped nerve which was having a pins & needles effect.

Im pleased that you have found some relief and hope that you have a speedy recovery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.