Getting better after ankle fracture

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 10 weeks post ORIF (Trimaleoar ankle fracture)...finally can walk almost like before! Wearing normal shoes, no aids used...still limping but getting better every day!  The challenge is going downstairs...Looking forward to start hiking again, got myself a new pair of hiking boots with very good ankle support...

Back to work full time couple of weeks ago ( I am a nurse in a care home).

Wish everybody here a speedy and uncomplecated recovery, good luck!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Congratulations 😀‼️ Looking forward to buying new shoes too!

Karran

• Posted

Awesome. There are you tube videos of how to walk up and down post break.

Knowing you are doing so well is up lifting. I can do stairs now, but with rail and crutch. Physio taught me.

©{°×°}©

• Posted

I am 19 weeks out of ORIF trimalleolar fracture too. You are doing really great at 10 weeks! Re. going downstairs, I just got that down. It is just a matter of strength (calf/toe strength). Try to go up on both sets of toes by the bed, then to slowly go up on just one set (on the injured leg). It is really tough at first. Try to walk on your toes as you get better. Do a lot of calf stretches. It will come. Congrats on your recovery!!
    • Posted

You really are supportive and full of tried and tested ideas. Thanks??

Have you had shingles? I believe my husband with the recovering broken stiff hand has. Gosh, I say broken bones, bullied child, Baker's Cyst, and now shingles, what next? Then I look at all your lovely supportive comments and just get on with it.

Thanks.??????????????????

• Posted

Oh no Tituscanby! Shingles too? I haven't had it, but I guess any of us who had chicken pox at a child could get it (and who at our age hasn't had chicken pox as a child?). At some point you just have to laugh and say bring it on, I'm tough and you ain't seen nothin' yet regarding my ability to fight whatever you throw at my husband and I. You will prevail, because you are fighters. Keept the spirit!

PS- I once read a great saying and anyone who experienced ORIF or surgery can totally relate to. "A scar shows you were faced, at some point in your life, with a fight, and you were tough, and you won". 

• Posted

Thank you for your very sweet commments by the way Tituscanby! You are very supporiive yourself and always there to give great advice to all!
    • Posted

Love it.

Daughter just played ?????? basketball, and they won. She got a basket!

On the way back by Taxi a couple were in there also. He is blind. Car crash crushed his skull. Had to rebuild his skull, but couldn't save his eyes.

Hmm. He was singing. ??????

@(*+*)@

• Posted

Tituscanby- That really puts things in perspective doesn't it? Thanks for posing that as a reminder. I started pushing my 2 yr old granddaughter in her Little Tikes Cozy Coupe car today and was able to actually run behind it pushing her down the sidewalk, as I used to do months ago....it was kind of like running with a walker. She kept saying "faster, faster Gigi" and I did it! We need to remember, we will heal and it does take time. It's my 5 month (20 week) ankleversary this week. Life gets better week by week. Hang in there everybody!

• Posted

That sounds lovely! My son said his kids haven't had chicken pox. And they've been so sick with constant colds, and hand foot and mouth disease, he said, dont bring dad over with shingles please. He himself has had chicken pox x2 and shingles x 3. All before 30.

My husband has literally run out of energy. Wiped out. Shingles spreading. I've found the strength to help him. Still fighting ACC insurance for help with bakers cyst. Not as bad, but constantly on anti inflammatories and painkillers. And wear a brace. Holding me back.

In saying that I had a wee dance to ELO and Chumba wumba. They sing song, I get knocked down, and I get up again, nothing's ever gonna keep me down

????????????????????????

• Posted

Have you tried the compression socks? I was able to get off anti inflammatories once I started wearing one on my injured foot at night. I sometimes still wake up for a few minutes with a slight bit of aching on the foot and I just stretch it a bit while lying there and I seem to be able to get right back to sleep after that. I know you are going through a lot, but maybe it would help...or maybe you are already using one? How is your baker's cyst leg doing now? My parents are in their 80's and keep saying that "getting old is not for sissies". I guess that applies at all ages smile We might as well keep a smile on our faces and music in our soul while we are going through this.  Good for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.