Getting both sides done - not as bad as you might imagine -2

Posted , 4 users are following.

Sutures out at two weeks, and bandages off at the same time. My feet felt more painful for a couple of days, presumably the loss of the bandaging which permitted more swelling. However, by day 24 post-op (today) this has improved a great deal. I still need to keep my feet up, though, as doing too much standing exacerbates the oedema. Physio for the big toes next week.

All in all, a procedure to be taken seriously, but having both sides done at the same time was unquestionably the right decision and I am really, really pleased at the end result.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Really pleased all going well for you! Sensible advice re. keep feet elevated as much as possible. It is 10weeks for me, and glad I had both done together as well. My feet still swell a bit and have been told it will take about 9mths to completely recover. I wasnt offered physio or given much after care advice from the surgeon, just told to wiggle feet a few times a day! the worst now is finding shoes that feel ok!
  • Posted

Re shoes i'm at 12 weeks both feet and hammer toes each foot. I've found the only thing i can wear are fly flot velcro sandals. My feet still swell and i can adjust the velcro as the day goes on. They're also quite supportive but leave my ex- hammer toes exposed.

Not exactly the height of fashion i'm afraid but not my major concern at the moment.

• Posted

Re shoes i'm at 12 weeks both feet and hammer toes each foot. I've found the only thing i can wear are fly flot velcro sandals. My feet still swell and i can adjust the velcro as the day goes on. They're also quite supportive but leave my ex- hammer toes exposed.

Not exactly the height of fashion i'm afraid but not my major concern at the moment.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. Coincidentally a friend has just mentioned fly-flot shoes and I have found them available on the shoe-shop website.

I think our fashion sense will have to be put on hold for now!!

• Posted

Hi there l had my left foot done last Oct (See post op bunion and hammer toe) and my right one on April 16th 3(three weeks ago ) l could not get any shoes on at 4 weeks post op last time indeed it was not till after xmas almost 4 months that l managed to get a decent pair of shoes on but now 7months down the line from the left foot l can get any shoes on the only problem is the hammer toe is coming up slightly not bent but raised l think this is common l am putting micropore over the toe (sticky side up ) then fold it underneath your big toe and over the top then do the same with the tape the other side wrapping it around the toe and pulling it across so it comes to the base of the hammer toe that is what l was told to do when the pin was removed at 4 weeks last time. l shall have pin removed from toe on right foot on Thurday 14th l no my foot is not so swollen and all the bruising has gone the base of the big toe and the bunion area are still a bit swollen l no this because l took the bandages off and changed them yesterday so l hope this time at four weeks l can get my shoes on. You can buy flyflots at

T J Hughes and there are quite a few pavers shoes shops around now also Hotter shoes are very good .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.