Getting diagnosed

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a bit of an episode 10 days ago in the early hours of the morning following fairly constant palpitations for 24 hrs. I have had various flutters and flops in the past but this was something else - I had taken a sleeping pill and dozed off but went to GP next day. He.spoke about investigating afib and examined me - I didn't have raised HR and he took bloods. From that time I have had a constant.ant feeling of occasional missed/ extra beat it's subtle but disturbing. I ended up at A &E one morning after a particular bad night but the ECG was fine. I am now waiting for 24 HR monitor which will be 6 weeks.... I don't feel well, can't sleep and a little dizzy and light headed. GP has given me propronalol but hesitant to take because I have underactive thyroid which is already under medicated (he won't change dose). I am already on warfarin for an unrelated condition.

Question is what can I do next I really need the monitor now I think - it is always worse at night and I am worn out. How speedily did others get a diagnosis?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello, When you said you ended up in ER one night, was your heart just giving you a few extra beats or was your pulse hard to take due to rapid beats? If your ECG was fine, your heart was probably still in sinus rhythm which is good.

When I need to go to ER, it's because my heart goes out of sinus rhythm and bests at 180 per minute or higher for several hrs before I go to hospital.

Your giddiness could be anxiety over this or raised blood pressure. A heart monitor I would think will just make you a little paranoid, but that's obv for the doctor to decide. Try and take your pulse when you say your heart is fluttering or missing a beat and see if it's really high or just slightly elevated. When they take an ECG, if your heart is in atrial fib it will show on the ecg, so if yours was fine sounds like your heart hasn't gone out of sinus.

• Posted

My HR never escalated but rhythm was odd but had settled when I saw the GP he just said it would be worth investigating. I spent the next few days feeling exhausted and panicked a little by everything I read 🙁My fault entirely! I had eptopic beats particularly badly during the night so much so I was jolting trying to get to sleep so went to A &E. Constantly holding my pulse it is in sinus and usually between 63 - 74. I wondered if lightheaded news was anxiety related
  • Posted

I phoned the appointment line every couple of days to try and get a cancellation appointment this paid off and cut my waiting time down by 3 weeks good luck and try to stay positive
  • Posted

Similar to you after a weekend in hospital and told that I needed a 7 day monitor. Ithen had a seven week wait fot it.
  • Posted

Hello,

Anxiety isn't helping I am sure, I know a little about Thyroid conditions as I used to be a support networker for a thyroid charity,( I can't give you medical advice and wouldn't even try but why if your thyroid is under medicated wont your GP adjust the dose? Some of your symptoms could be related to your thyroid I would ask why they are not correcting meds for thyroid and if you dont get a satisfactory reply ask for a second opinion. what dose of thyroxine are you on? when you next see GP ask what your TSH level is.

Good luck

L.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.