Getting down onto sun lounger after hip op

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi everyone 

I had my hip operation last year and haven't been on holiday since . Want to plan a holiday to the sun but thinking how will I get on as I won't be able to get down to a sun lounger.as they are so low down .

There must be lots of you out there that has had this thought and how did you get on . Love to hear some advice . 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You should be okay this year, just slowly ease yourself down if you have someone helping you this would be better for the first few times - or ask one of the staff to assist you. Get there early so you do not have an audience and make sure you go to the loo before hand so you do not need to immediately do it all over again! Just take care not to twist too much. 

I have been able to use sun loungers quite easily on my own, so I am sure you will be fine I worried initially but it was okay. Picnics were more a problem from the floor in the early days. 

Enjoy your holiday! 

• Posted

Hi Suzie, I went to Ibiza in May, I had my op in Sept 2015. I just lowered myself down carefully on to the loungers and when I had to get up sat up, swung my legs to the side then pushed myself up putting weight through other leg mainly. Wasnt very ladylike but meant i could join friends who were sunbathing. 
  • Posted

Hi Suziemo

I found, if you are going on the beach, if you speak to the Beachboy and explain your situation, he maybe could provide you with a double/ extra cushion for your bed. Also, even after a year, ankles swell on aeroplanes and  if you haven't done so already, ask for special assistance with your airline and tell them you cannot walk for long distances or  up the stairs but can walk around the cabin. This will give you a head start with your first few days on holiday, rather than possibly being laid up  whilst the swelling goes down. Also remember sand  is the most difficult service to walk on, Great for physical exercise but dodgy  on your balance for the first few days. Hope this helps regards dot 

• Posted

Hi, I'm really please that you have asked this question. I am four weeks post op and going away in October. It's something I really hadn't thought about. I will be keeping a close eye on your replies and thanks again for asking

• Posted

As you lower  yourself down let the operated leg straighten out in front of you- this applies to any sitting- then slide your bum further across before you slide the legs on. I have only tried this indoors on a folding bed but it must apply!
  • Posted

oh suzie, 

how great to plan a vacation !!!  and what wonderful tips from our fellow members ..

I always had problems with those sun loungers ....

big warm hug and enjoy planning

renee

• Posted

Many thanks everyone for your advice . Will maybe find something low down that I can practice on before I go away .

• Posted

Now that's a point suzie.

It is not easy . I have one in the garden and have worked out that a sudden flare up of pain was linked to my sunlounger !

It is not too bad getting into it but getting up is a bit hard and if I use it a lot I get some pain and groin pain . In fact getting up from all low areas is not simple any more . That's just my experience hopefully yours will be different and it's a small price to pay for a new hip x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.