getting emotional

Posted , 10 users are following.

So im back again. Im 19 and waiting to go in for a thr and reconstruction which will be my 11th op. Living with what iv got has always been difficult. During school i was always bullied for having a very serious limp which left me feeling self concious about myself. I also find it difficult to go out in public and try shoes on because i cant put left shoes on on my own which means someone has to help me, people always look at me as if im stuoid. But now my pain is getting worse and being unemployed and in pain gets on top of me. Also got some bad news about a pet today which doesnt help. Does anyone else feel down a lot because kf similar things?

4 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Oh Sarah I do feel for you, what a horrible time you have had, and clearly you are having a bad day today. You are not alone, we are all here and understand what you are going through. I don't think anyone on this forum could honestly say they didn't have the odd dark day, I think it is part of being in pain and feeling isolated. I often find putting on a funny film helps lift my mood, do you have one you could watch? Sometimes just changing the mood can help. It is difficult as we can't go out walking or enjoy fresh air which also helps hugely but you do have all of us! 

The good news is that in a few weeks you will have your operation and you will finally be better. Your limp will be gone, your pain will be gone and your life will be unrecognisable compared to now.

Although so young to be suffering like this, age is also to your benefit you are bound to bonce back far faster than the rest of us. One day this will all be all be over and you feel more happy again...this is a bad patch that will eventually be nothing but a memory. 

Do you have a friend or a family member who could pop over with a bottle of wine? You sound like you need a hug, we can send virtual hugs to you and are here for you 247 ~ take good care. 

• Posted

Aww thankyou for being so kind. I cant really relax yet because im waiting to go pick my pet up from the vets. But i think when i come home ill put a disney on and eat some chocolate.

I just find it difficult to stay happy at all lately as i feel my life isnt what i want it to be. Im also worried incase the op doesnt work and that i will have ran out of chances to lead a normal life

• Posted

Hi Sarah, everyone needs a day to hide away from the world when things get too much. Even those who have a 'normal' life so enjoy the Chocolate 😊

I was born without a hip socket so like you I've had numerous operations, bullied for a limp and the scars. For years I refused to go swimming because of them. When all my mates were out dancing the night away I was sat in the corner because the pain was too much.

I had my first replacement at 30 (no kids), then subsequently another 2 revisions in 4 years.

Everyone has bad days, just sleep it off and tomorrow is a new day x

• Posted

Wow thats interesting. Im not sure my problem has a name but i was born with a dislocated hip which wasnt found till i was 6 month. Didnt get worked on till 1 so by then my bones had fused together so iv got no movement and 4cm leg difference. And yes your right. Everyone does need aday to hide. I feel selfish complaining really
    • Posted

You mustn't feel selfish, you are definitely not selfish. You have been through so much and are still, and we all need support and for someone to care about us from time to time. It has clearly really impacted on your life, and getting it fixed once and for all is a real life line for you...

Some days you just feel terrible and this is one of them. I hope the chocolates help and the posts on here too. Look after yourself today, do everything you can to make yourself feel loved, lavender baths (if you can still get in the bath!) fresh sheets, your favourite tea tonight, most of all give yourself permisson to have a day of complete misery if that is how you feel. Tomorrow you will wake up and feel better.

If you are still feeling the same in a few days, don't suffer quietly, go and tell your dr how you are feeling. It is important to have support in the run up to your operation. x

• Posted

Yeah. Unfortanetly everytime i try to tell my doctor how i feel they try to pass my of to a shrink which i dont want. I think its best speaking on here because people know how you feel
    • Posted

Don't feel selfish, you need those days. There were times I felt as though there was no end in sight, the combination of constant pain and sleepless nights wore me down. I hope things improve for you, try not to worry about whether the op will or won't work, you're giving yourself the best opportunity. Xx
    • Posted

I understand those sleepless nights. Most the time i cant get to sleep till 1 then im up every hour and a half. I find myself half asleep durimg the night. That doest help either haha xx
  • Posted

I am doing okay just sat my computer and now my back is aching also went out with Graham to day get some bread and petrol so today done quite a bit now everything is protesting lol never learn lol I am going to try and catch up with letters and do some knitting
  • Posted

Hi Sarah. I'm sending you a virtual hug. What a lot of awful things to have happened to you in your young life. I think you are very brave And hope that this operation will be the one that puts all the problems in the past for you. It's natural to feel down when you are comtemplating yet another op. It certainly puts my grizzles into perspective (hip op at 52!). Be positive about the future and let us know how you are doing xx
    • Posted

Virtual hug. Thankyou. I hope it sets everything right to. I think im getting down because the pain is worse. Im not sure if its anything to do with weather though. Xx
  • Posted

Hi Sarah! I'm so sorry to hear that you have been feeling down about it. *hugs smile

I'm 20 years old and have been suffering with Perthes disease since i was 7 years old.

I know how you feel about being upset with the pain.

Iv'e been unemployed too due to pain and it sucks! Ive had surgerys when i was little to prolong the life of the joint and i have had my first hip replacement 7 weeks ago.

Chin up smile *more hugs.

Its so good to find someone around my age who is having a THR.

Goodluck

• Posted

Wow thats a relief to here. How did you find your op? How were you put to sleep? How did you find recovery? Were you from? This is so exciting to meet someone my age whose had on. I can get some info from a younger persons perspective xx
    • Posted

I'm from New Zealand smile (Home of Lorde - the singer lol)

The op was great! I was pretty lucky for my surgery because according to my nurses i had one of the best Anaesthetists in my hospital. Numbed my legs with an epidural and knocked me out with anaesthetic aswell.

Once I was awake there was no pain and i couldn't feel anything from the ribs down.

It wore off completely in about 8 hours, but what i can gather from that is that everyone is different smile

Recovery was pretty good although i did dislocate twice in hospital (oppz). Turns out it wasnt my fault though, it was due to my surgeon having to grind more off my pelvic bone, and turn my leg in because it wasn't straight (This is due to the deformity of my hips).

I had some pain, but in a way it was a refreshing pain, because its a different pain - if that makes sense?

Right now i have been givin the "all clear" to do normal things and push it. Due to this iv'e had increased pain. My surgeon said its just my age. A younger persons "normal" is abit different to an older persons "normal".

Don't be too alarmed if this happens to you when you reach this stage. My surgeon said pain is good at 7 weeks.

Straight after surgery you will probably feel exhausted. Don't be suprised if you are taking naps during the day for the first 2 weeks smile

When do you go in for your op? Best of luck and keep me posted. I cant wait to here about your recovery.

• Posted

Im on a 5 month wait but i might be sooner as being a priority. Well i have funny hips to so hope i dont dislocate? Sounds silly but does it hurt because its not bone obvs. Im in england btw. Although i recieved more bad news today
    • Posted

I hope they do it sooner for you because waiting is the worst thing, especially for the mind it can stress you out.

Your surgeon should let you know after surgery if it will be easy to dislocate.

It honestly depends on what he has to do in surgery.

My first dislocation happened when i was getting xrays day two after surgery. What happened was my hip and leg muscles couldn't cope keeping my leg straight (this is due to my native hip and leg growing outwards. My feet sit in a position of a duck). My foot and leg turned out on the table causing the ball of the hip to pop half out of the socket. Its all fine now though. Muscles have been trained straight.

It did hurt. I wasn't in pain straight after it happened, but leg was stiff and little shooting pains down the back of my thigh set in.

It clicks funny when it dislocates. Its like a side click of the ball.

The longer its left pain also set in, in the knee. I hope this helps as sort of a discription.

More bad news? Oh no. Keep your chin up. Theres always a postive somewhere, although it can be hard to find.

• Posted

Oh dear that sounds awful. And yes. I broke my collar bone 7 month ago. It hasnt healed well and now he wants to operate on that to so now i dont know what to do

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.