Getting Fed Up Now

Posted , 15 users are following.

It's 6 weeks today since my surgery, Im getting so frustrated and wondering if I will ever be normal again, well as normal as normal can be. My foot is still very swollen across the bridge and around the scar. My scar stings to the extreme, still getting the most weird sensations on the scar like tasering,  I'm getting also sorts of twinges in my foot and toes. To be honest I never experienced pain with my bunion, but they insisted that I had it done due to the toe twisting.  My toe is still cocked up. Just want it all to feel like it did before the surgery, can't bear the thought of feeling like this forever! When can I drive? Im nervous about driving. How long can I expect it to go on like this, want to be able to have a dance for New Year but right now I feel like hiding away forever cry

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for the words of support, and for letting me know I'm not alone on this. I am very fortunate that my scar has healed, but the burning is the main problem. I have bought some Aloe Vera Gelly by a company called Forever. Someone told me it would really help. It arrived today so I am hoping it will work. I am resigning myself to the fact that is going to be a long journey and maybe in 3-4 months I will begin to see some light at the end of the tunnel. I job involves me standing for long periods and on occassions having to drive. I do not feel confident to drive yet. I am finding that very frustrating, but I think it is the fear of it hurting or doing more damage that is holding me back. I might try and go out in the car in a bit and see how I get on, even if it's just to reverse on and off the drive. It doesnt bother me that I can't wear heals or such as like, I just wish I had been better informed about the healing process before surgery. My big toe does cause me some concern as it is very floppy, it is still cocked and it doesnt look straight it is also shorter than my other toes which worries me a little too. I think perhaps I will go visit my GP and see what she advises. I am in my late 40's and to feel so restricted is very difficult for me to accept right now. Again thank you all for replying smile
  • Posted

Just to add my consultant told me I didn't need physio something about my age rolleyes go figure lol. Think I might ask GP for referral. Also have noticed in mornings my calf muscle really hurts but is fine after walking about for 5 mins. x
    • Posted

I am 7 weeks and started physio which include stretching my calve muscles. Seems to be helping my toes they are moving more. Walking a little better but hurts to put on shoes or take them off still alot swelling just want my life back
  • Posted

Oh dear, I'm very sorry that you are experiencing so much pain and discomfort.   

My surgeon told me that the swelling can take 6 to 9 monthis to settle and in some people, it can take longer.   Nerves have been disturbed so that causes the swelling and pain, or weird sensations.   I had a few nerve jolts which felt like I had had an electric shock - horrible.      

You should be able to drive after 6 to 8 weeks, but again that depends on your healing.   I've only just started to drive again after 8 weeks because having had 2 operations on my left foot, it was two weeks behind the right foot.   My left foot was stiff and painful at first when I pressed the clutch, but it's better now.

I do a lot of massaging with Bio Oil and a scar support oil that an aromatherapist I know made up for me.   Because my feet get very pampered, it's paid off because after 1 month I have noticed a significant improvement, not only with the stiffness and mobility of my feet, but the wounds have faded a lot.   I can hardly see where the surgeon operated on my right foot and the wound on my left foot has faded quite a bit.   For an exercise I was advised to place a rolled up towel or a t-shirt on the floor and to scrunch my toes as if trying to pick it up.   It hurt a lot when I first did it, but now I can do it quite easily.   It's important not to overdo it though.

Patience is a virtue in any operation.   I am not even attempting to try and dance in the New Year because I don't want to risk undoing my good healing work, or somebody carelessly stepping on my feet.    There's always next year and your foot will be stronger and less painful so dancing won't be a problem.  Your foot healing is more important than dancing.

Look after yourself and your feet and you'll soon see a difference.   I wish you well and better soon.

• Posted

Hi, I think I know how you feel, I felt a bit like that last week.  Thinking I might never get back to normal..  I must admit I wore a skirt, some thick tights and a pair of ugh type boots a couple of days ago and felt quite normal.  Today my scar feels a wee bit sore and was not such a nice feeling.  I saw my consultant last Tuesday, he was very pleased with the healing of the scar and range of movement I had in the toe, the slight elevation of the toe he is hoping will sort itself out.  Like others have said it is a long recovery period for foot operations, more than we think.  At least 12 months before all the swelling etc is back to normal.  I am nearly 9 weeks now and i have been told to try to walk normally and go back to my exercise classes but just not to do anything to heavy on the feet.  Swimming is ok too, but because the toe and foot is still, swollen I do not really want to go bare foot so I will get  some shoes I can go in the pool with.  I go back to see my consultant in the New Year.  Hope this helps you
    • Posted

Hi where did you get the scare therapy oil my scares are awful I'm at a loss as what to use 
  • Posted

Oh dear, I'm very sorry that you are experiencing so much pain and discomfort.   

My surgeon told me that the swelling can take 6 to 9 monthis to settle and in some people, it can take longer.   Nerves have been disturbed so that causes the swelling and pain, or weird sensations.   I had a few nerve jolts which felt like I had had an electric shock - horrible.      

You should be able to drive after 6 to 8 weeks, but again that depends on your healing.   I've only just started to drive again after 8 weeks because having had 2 operations on my left foot, it was two weeks behind the right foot.   My left foot was stiff and painful at first when I pressed the clutch, but it's better now.

I do a lot of massaging with Bio Oil and a scar support oil that an aromatherapist I know made up for me.   Because my feet get very pampered, it's paid off because after 1 month I have noticed a significant improvement, not only with the stiffness and mobility of my feet, but the wounds have faded a lot.   I can hardly see where the surgeon operated on my right foot and the wound on my left foot has faded quite a bit.   For an exercise I was advised to place a rolled up towel or a t-shirt on the floor and to scrunch my toes as if trying to pick it up.   It hurt a lot when I first did it, but now I can do it quite easily.   It's important not to overdo it though.

Patience is a virtue in any operation.   I am not even attempting to try and dance in the New Year because I don't want to risk undoing my good healing work, or somebody carelessly stepping on my feet.    There's always next year and your foot will be stronger and less painful so dancing won't be a problem.  Your foot healing is more important than dancing.

Look after yourself and your feet and you'll soon see a difference.   I wish you well and better soon.

• Posted

Hi Beanie,

Last week I went to see GP to see whether she'd refer me for physio because I was discharged at 4 weeks.  "you can do it yourself" was the answer I was given. Hope you get a better answer than me. So anyway I've just been watching videos from You Tube and doing it that way. I'm doing okay I think.neutral

• Posted

Sorry that you are feeling a bit down. It's been good and bad reading these comments. Bad because it is sad that so many people feel frustrated and are having some bad days but, dare, I say, good because it makes you realise that you are not on your own. I am six and a half weeks post MIS and am generally very pleased with my recovery. One foot is much better than the other. One seems to be 'doing all manner of strange things' and has some strange sensations but I am totally convinced that it will all be worth it and that it will improve my quality of life. I had such a problem with my knee and sometimes the opposite hip and also with my lower back before as a result of the way that I walked as well as frequent very sore feet! This will improve that and I will feel so much better as result. Any improvement in visual appearance will be gratefully received but it is not all about that. I have been for a  half mile walk this afternoon as part of the process of building things up and so far have no ill effects. I do realise that the procedure that I have have had is less invasive than the one that many of you have gone through and , that as a result , healing and recovery should be quicker. It still can be frustrating though! I have also had down times and , I am sure that there will be more (especially around getting some reasonable footwear for Christmas, I am sure!) but am determined to try to keep focused and to keep hold of why I had this done! Try to keep focused on what the reason behind having this done was! It will be worth it! 
  • Posted

Well just drove round the block in the car, it felt fine, don't know what I was so scared off. Pressed the brake sharply on a straight bit of road. Only did a mile in the car but felt fine got home and my foot is aching now and have used the Aloe Vera Gelly and can already feel an improvement in the burning sensation. x
    • Posted

You will get there in the end, patience is certainly the keyword here. I was discharged by my consultant this week, 8 weeks after my op. I had both of my bunions corrected and the metatarsal bones straightened with screws and staples keeping it all together. I didn't need any other toes sorted, so no pins. I am thrilled with the result and happy to say that the pain was manageable and the swelling kept at bay by diligent raising of feet and resting as much as possible. The consultant told me to massage the tops of my feet if swelling occurs by firmly massaging from toes to ankles in a sweeping motion. Also to manipulate the toes with my fingers to help strengthen them. I had worn the special shoes up until then and was pleased to be able to wear my Fit Flop trainers again, although I had to loosen the laces a bit to allow for any swelling. I was also told that I was fit to drive again and did so yesterday, but only a couple of miles. My feet were fine when driving but ached a little that evening. Good luck to everyone and a speedy recovery 😃
    • Posted

Thanks Kathryn

I have been driving a few tims now and my foot swells like a ballon for hours. I also work in a standing job for several hours at a time and again they swell. I am pleased to say the Forever Aloe Gelly has rid me of that awful burning feeling on my scar after a week of using it. Now my only concern is my big toe that appears to be in a cocked position. My GP has referred me for Physio so hopefully that will help. I am 8 weeks post op and my foot is noticeably bigger than my other foot. I will keep you all posted on my recovery smile

• Posted

I hope that the physio works for you, my only issue is with the second toe on my right foot, it is a bit lazy and I have been exercising my toes to try and get it back to normal. I can only assume that the tendon was affected during the op. Your foot looking bigger than the other one is just while it is recovering, I am sure. A friend of mine had the same experience and hers are fine now more than a year after her op. Do let me know how you progress over the next few weeks; just think that in a couple of months time we won't give our feet a second thought 😉
  • Posted

I was so pleased to find this site. As a number of people have said I got detailed instructions about taking meds but that was it - no further info re post op care, not even about how long to keep feet up. So frustrating and I am only in week 3 post op. Thanks to all who have provided useful info AND shared that they also have down times. 

So far I have been trying to make myself sleep on my back with aim of protecting foot, have taken a Vit C supplement each day and upped my protein intake. 

Thank goodness that there is a way of sharing strategies!

• Posted

I'm  16 days from scarf op, all seemed ok for 10 days then dreadful pain,I'm on so many pills. I feel I'm going backwards,    Pain is awful.    You are not alone. I know how you feel. I rested and did all the right things, but it seems like hell at the moment....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.