Getting frustrated

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and needed to vent.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's (though that was in small writing on the lab report and the doctor didn't even mention it) in 2014 and have been struggling with weight issues and fatigue and brain fog ever since, even though I was put on Synthroid once the TSH levels indicated I had hypothyroidism (I probably had it for years before that).  I thought I was finally going to get the right dose when she upped it to 100mg of Synthroid last month from 75mg but my test yesterday shows I am still on the low end of the normal range and I'm gaining weight as fast as ever.  Is it fair that I have to work out every single day (a tough sweat pouring down my face workout) in order to try to appear a semblance of normal sized, with fat still oozing over my pants while many other friends eat whatever they like, it seems, no workouts, and are still skinnier than me.  And it appears my cholesterol levels are high too, so it's more than just a weight issue, though that is what I care most about.  I also spent the majority of my long weekend sleeping, as I was very tired and didn't get the projects done that I was hoping.  

I hope she will up the dosage again to maybe 125mg, but will this work? I don't know.

I am just frustrated and losing hope.

Nancy

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

So Hashimoto’s Disease is the most common cause of Hypothyroidism in the Western World. Most people who have hypothyroidism have it because kf Hashimoto’s. 

To loose weight: Eat 3 meals a day. No Snacking. No Refined Sugar.

If you loose weight your cholesterol will most likely come back to normal.

• Posted

Nancy, what was your TSH from yesterday? Your experiences are not unusual but don’t lose hope, it can take a while to get the right dose.
    • Posted

Dave,

My doctor did not order the TSH test.  she only ordered the Free T3 and the Free T4, which were in the bottom 25% of the range given.  I am thinking about asking for the full thyroid panel which would then include TSH, but also reverse T3.

Thank you for the support.

• Posted

Hi , I was diagnosed in 2013, 3 years after having my second child! Pre pregnancy I was always about a size 8-10 and could loose weight pretty easily/normally. I'm now 11 stone and 5ft 4. I feel about 2 to 3 stone overweight. I'd love to even lose a stone. My belly feels bloated all the time. I walk 2 hours a day. I eat lots of veggies, fruit, salads and fish as I'm a pescatarian. Over the years I've been on 50mg to 100mg to 150mg to 175mg now back to 150 again.  Im so grateful for being diagnosed as before being treated I was unable to the things I can do today however it would be lovely to see the weight start to drop off. I feel as though it needs to be almost nil by mouth in order to lose any weight.  I felt fine on 175mg but told my tag was too low at 0.06 but my t3 was fine at 16. It's all a learning curve but I'd say just keep going to the drs until you feel better. Get a copy of your relay each time too to check your results online. Stay in touch 😊

• Posted

Nancy,

not doing the TSH is weird. It’s the number one test for thyroid levels, even if it doesn’t tell the whole story. You should try to get it done for sure.

• Posted

Nancy, did you feel well before being put on the thyroid replacement? You only commented on how you felt afterwards if I understand what you wrote. See I am someone who felt perfectly well and what I now refer to as a rogue test prompted my Doc to order replacement and firmly stick to his order! In short I feel as though it has ruined the last 4 years of my life. I felt like a race horse on the inside and half dead dragging around in my daily life always expecting to feel better cause that is what I was told by the "expert". I may well be the exception, but it seems to me Docs are trained to treat lab work and it also seem that maybe too many people are being given replacement who don't need them and perhaps as many are not being treated cause they don't have the right numbers. I have learned from others so much goes into a healthy working thyroid and so much can interfere in the process and replacement when not needed is shutting down your own healthy process. I hope Catherine responds to your thread she is so good at breaking it down and explaining in an easy to understand way. Good Luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.