Getting into bath

Posted , 6 users are following.

TKR Can anyone tell me how to get into the bath safely I have a stupendous shower double cubicle wirh seat and rain firest and back jets Yet all i want to do is get into my bath 😂 But I'm scared I can't get out😂😂😂😂

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joan!

I shower ONLY! Haven't gotten down into the bathtub for YEARS!

• Posted

Same here, could get in and sit down but couldn't stand back up, so gave up and just have showers, forgot what a bath feels like its been that long

• Posted

Hi Linda Ann!

We got a soaking tub (much deeper and a bit narrower than regular tubs) when we redid our upstairs bathroom twenty-five years ago. My husband was the big bath taker in the family, although the rest of us had a soak from time to time when a shower just wasn't relaxing enough.

As I said, I haven't soaked in a tub for years because the getting IN was tricky, but the getting OUT...probably VERY TOUGH and definitely not LADY-LIKE!😵😮😱

My husband was soaking and relaxing this past winter in the tub. I heard sloshing and a few nasty words. Went upstairs to find that he just couldn't GET OUT of the tub! He has peripheral neuropathy related to his diabetes and just couldn't manage to feel his feet and hands enough to get himself out of the tub! He had done it many times before, but all parts weren't working at THIS time, and he just couldn't manage.

I laid down towels inside the tub and on the edge of it and on the floor for traction, and got him partway out. He leaned on the edge, EXHAUSTED from his experience, and said, "Well THAT'S MY LAST SOAKY-BATH!" 😵

Aging can be CRUEL!😢

• Posted

It was suggested to need to have shower bard installed.  However after 7 months I can't get up after having trouble getting down. Not easy be careful

• Posted

Hi Joan, like you I was desperate to get into a bath.  I had been going over it in my mind for some time.  I ran a beautiful bath, added some healing Epsom salts, i was ready to go!   Stepped in on my good leg, awkwardly swung the opposite leg in and found myself standing completely upright in the middle of the beautiful warm water when it dawned on me I had no idea how I could sit down!!   I can laugh now but at the time I just wanted to cry.  There was no way I was not going to get in that water.   Bearing my weight on the good leg I stood at the head of the bath and then with both arms supporting me on the sides slid the bad leg first and then the good into the water - I thought the ensuing tidal wave might go over the top and flood the bathroom😂When it came to getting out I got into a proper pickle and actually got quite worried.  Please try and Bath when someone else is around to help just in case and take extra care.  I had to let the water out first and it was still difficult.   I now have a method which is  very ungainly but is working for me me.  I lean towards  the un operated side, roll up onto that knee and then swing the operated leg up onto the edge of the bath and push myself up so I am sitting on the edge and can safely get the leg onto the floor. You have to have a reasonable amount of strength in your arms which I guess most people develop after knee replacement.  I hope you manage to bath soon , it's worth it but please take care. happy healing. 

• Posted

Thanks Jane I pretty much guessed i would look a right picture when i eventually get into the bath and try to get out I will have to try when hubby is missing for a wee while as he says forget it I have alovely jacuzzi bathe with jets and massage programmes on hte good side its 1 and half times the size of a normal bath I am thoroughly researching in my mind how to attempt it and go through the scenario quite a few times lol I am getting fiaxated on getting a bath before my my other leg is done as then it might just be impossible to try Thanks for taking the time to replay to me youre a star xxxx
    • Posted

You're welcome Joan, it made me chuckle thinking about it all again and realising I've come a long way in five months x

• Posted

Oh Joan! Yes I also decided to have a bath one day. My husband was outside doing something & I thought I would have a bath!! I ran the bath, put in Joint & Muscle Epsom Salts. It was so inviting! I got in with very little trouble, but when I decided to get out I realised it wasn't going to be easy! Long story short, I ended up sitting in the empty bath, after having tried several ways to get out & couldn't, cold & wet & miserable (it was winter). I could not bend my knee enough to get out!! Called my husband, no answer, banged on the window, no answer. Luckily our daughter called in on her way to work & called my husband in to rescue me!

I now get into & out of the bath quite easily. In is always easy. Getting out not so much,a friend gave me some cheap dishcloths from Savers. What you do is put one on either side of the edge of the bath, they must be wet, you can also use one on the bottom of the bath if there isn't a non slip mat inside. You can then hold onto the edge of the bath without fear of slipping & push yourself up to bring your legs under yourself to stand! My friend is in her 70s & has back, knee& ankle problems & this is what she does. This works if you have a 'proper' bath tub, mine is a corner bath, so I have to lever myself onto the seat bit, then stand, but I do use the dishcloths to aid my grip! Not pretty or graceful but then bathing isn't a spectator sport!! Thank Heavens!!

The moral of this story is, by all means have a bath if you have someone there to come to your aid should you need it! If you are alone, don't even think it! When I sat in that empty bath the only option I could come up with was refill the bath! Coming out looking like a prune was a better idea, than getting double pneumonia!

Good luck

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Joan, you've echoed my feelings  Having just read all the replies to your post, I can't say I'm any more confident to try LOL!  I've not had a bath for way over ten years because of the knees and it just sits there - never used, but tempting.....  Let us know if you try and how it goes:-))))

• Posted

watch this space and if i do get in and OUT ill try and remember how i did it and write down the instructions for further use xxx

• Posted

I use both arms on side of bath to lower body down and in reverse to get up.

Have good upper body strength. Have small step ladder with handle on top

Which I use to hold onto for support when getting in and out. Did this from about week four, kept operated leg out of water though

Until six weeks.

• Posted

I think I might try a dry run doing that Jenny.  I do have a problem with upper arms though - tend to pull ligaments in shoulders and underarms  (it's the hypermobility thing) so not sure if I could do it.  Honestly - I'd LOVE to get in the bath, but I'm a total whimp about trying!!!!!!!!  It terrifies me!!!!

• Posted

Do some exercises to strengthen arms first. It is well worth the effort. Epsom salts

In bath is amazing..plus badedas....honestly...cannot say how amazing it is!

• Posted

Yes, I think that is a very good idea Jenny.  I pulled a ligament under an arm quite badly when I was trying out recliner chairs, to see which one I wanted and it took several weeks to heal, so that is something that is worth doing!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.