Getting Irritable and Short-Tempered

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been noticing that over the last year or so I seem to be getting short-tempered, irritable, and impatient. So tonight, I asked my husband if he also was seeing these traits in me (we've been married 35 years). He said yes. I've never felt these traits were much a part of me before. I don't know if I'm feeling this way because,15 years into ME/CFS, I'm just feeling defeated. a bit depressed, and hopeless. Or if it's because most of my friends have abandoned me. Or if it's something biological that this illness is doing to my brain. I don't much like the bitterness I'm feeling, and I know it's not a good thing. Have any of you experienced this?

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

To moderator: I just spent ages, and tons of energy, typing out a reply to Beverley, with no links or outside references. I'm very unclear as to why my reply wasn't immediately posted.

• Posted

Hi Jackie,

What frustration that your reply is being moderated after spending time and energy writing it! it has happened to me a few times here and other times completely deleted my message on sending,  then i just dont have the energy to re type. Hopefully it will come through soon.

Hope you're not feeling as bad as after your trip out. These things bring us joy and it's unfair when the payback is so harsh.

Beverley

• Posted

This has happened to me several times, Jackie! While I love communicating with others on here about how they deal with CFS/ME and I like exchanging ideas and thoughts, this forum is so difficult to navigate.

I've spent so much time and energy writing a comment to someone, and then the moderator didn't post it. It's very frustrating. I wish we would at least get some feedback as to why a particular comment is not being posted.

Karen

• Posted

Had happened to me too. It is not the easiest of sites. Used to be much worse though! X
  • Posted

I have always been short tempered but had ME for 17years, so not thought it was connected, but i know when am running low on batteries as i find myself getting more irritated, i am negative person, and see the worst in people, people just seem to annoy me, husband irritates me. We have some not so pleasant arguments as i just nit pick. I find am worse when not well and patience is low. Am also hyper sensitive too, so things i can normally deal with or brush off seem to affect me and i take it to heart. I too Have chronic neck pain, and dreading menopause. I keep wondering if ME will ever go, am starting university in feb, and worried how i will cope. Just in middle of a flare up now, came on xmas day!!, 
    • Posted

Hi nichola

Wishing you all the very best with your uni course. I hope it doesn't get too much for you both physically and mentally x

• Posted

Thank you , not been well since Christmas, had a flare up, and cant think what i did , but it may be just the xmas build up. I am praying i will be ok. It’s a masters course and apparently very difficult, but i really want to do it. It’s just a shame that the ME rears its ugly head eh xx
    • Posted

Hi Nichola,

Just try to rest while you can. Explain to the head of the course about your condition and how it may affect you. I managed a course a year  or so ago by being honest with the tutor but, managed to get through without needing any extensions. It was a short course of only 13 weeks and was very hard going. I had to do a presentation and I did it on CFS/ME. I slurred, forgot what I was saying and lost some of the slides but, I managed it and passed the course. I know a master's is a bigger piece of work and wonder if you could take it over a longer time? When I was doing mine (before this condition hit me and I didn't complete) I was allowed up to 6 years as it was modular based. May be worth asking. 

Beverley

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I guess i need to learn to pace. And try have those sofa days to recharge batteries . Not able to do modular but i have told them of my condition and i can seek help if needbe . I will ring my fab OT next week n seek her advice, she is brill 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.