GETTING MALARIA TABLETS A WARNING!!!!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

Just wanted to warn would be travellers regarding getting Malaria tablets. All the websites i consulted said to see your Doctor and they would prescribe most appropriate tablets. DONT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!

I happen to live in North Wales. Went to med centre to make appointment with doctor for tablets. Was told Doctor would not prescribe tablets I must go to a centres 10 and 15 miles away. And I would have to make an appointment 8 WEEKS BEFORE TRAVEL. 1600 people died in UK from malaria last year + 10s of 1000s world wide.

So wherever you live get information long before you go. Yes you can order on internet but you wont know what your getting, do you really want to risk it???

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Forgot to say I was due to travel in 8 days

• Posted

no need to go to doctor for malaria tablets. some are available to purchase from pharmacies. depends which one you need. where were you travelling to? malarone (Maloff is the over the counter name) is easily purchased. some pharmacies also supply prescription antimalarials under a PGD scheme, saving you going to the GP. my local Asda pharmacy do.

also some pharmacies run private travel clinics doing vaccinations and malaria. wherever you end up getting the tablets, it'll cost you because antimalarials are not free on the NHS.

hope that clarifies things! any questions please ask, I'm a pharmacist

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.