Getting medication right

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I'm now nearly 6 weeks post op TKR on my left knee.

At 5 weeks I had physio had 0/100 range which she was pleased with and asked how I was.

I told her I wasn't sleeping well and waking at 3am every night, lost my appetite and lost 3/4 of a stone and mood a little low, she said I looked pale and advised me to see GP for blood tests to make sure all way OK.

Booked in with GP but saw a new doctor, explained everything and without and tests said I was probably already addicted to Tramadol!!

He prescribed one 10mg of Amitriptyline which I'd never had before.... Never again!

Had one tablet at night and woke 16 hours later and felt like a zombie and not touched them since.

Seeing consultant in 4 days for 6 weeks check up and will get his advise.

Just want to sleep and keep pain under control and worried about taking Tramadol as well now.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I don't know anything about your medications but I found I would wake in the night, and it seems pretty common, I cannot think that has much to do with anything but just something many TKR folk can relate to.

I had a codydramol which was good. I used a TENS machine in the day sometimes. I stayed using crutches for a long time to reduce pain. I hope you have a helpful and positive visit with your surgeon.

• Posted

I take amitriptyline and it was a godsend .  I take 50 mg every night.  Didn't even know they had 10mg.  In the states, lowest mg is 25, which didn't help me at all

• Posted

I am so sorry you're suffering. I'm about the same place you are post surgery. My date was June 19th.

Are you using additional bed pillows to cushion your knees while you sleep? I have found that placing one between my legs helps immensely. As for meds, I've been off the narcotics for a little over a week. I could only tolerate Tylenol with codeine or Norco for a few weeks. Ibuprofen, 800 mg., seems to help the most now, but I'm only taking it at night. One reason you may be waking through the night is your blood sugar may be dropping. That will wake you up. Try having a snack before bed. Listening to some music may also relax you, but avoid the television or computer/phone. Good luck. I hope things improve for you.

• Posted

Thanks Sharon, I do use the pillow between my legs and its a great help.

It's just getting the leg in the right position to sleep and if I twist it too much I wake up in pain then automatically sit up in bed and have a look on my mobile to try and relax (so maybe that's not a good idea?)

Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Tramadol (Ultram) is the mildest opioid on the market.  It is usually used as a transition drug to get people off the hard stuff (oxycodone, hydrocodone, morphine, etc.) and down to plain OTC ibuprofen.  A clinical dose of the NSAID is usually 800 mg TID (three times a day, one every 8 hours).  That's good for a few weeks and then you lower the dosage.  You do not want stomach issues.

Also try some Voltaren Gel (RX in the US, generic diclofenac elsewhere).  GREAT topical anti-inflammatory and pain reliever.  If you have some nerve pain, there's Aspercream with 4% Lidocaine and plain Lidocaine patches, both OTC.

For sleep, an old-fashioned benzodiazapine will probably work very well.  I've had Restless Leg Syndrome for decades and I take 1 mg of Xanax (alprazolam) about 1/2 hour before bedtime. I have no leg twitching and it puts me to sleep pretty quickly.  With a half-life of 8-10 hours, there will be no "hangover" effect in the morning.  Plus at .5 to 1 mg there's no real "addiction" issue.  It's short term anyway.  If the Xanax puts you asleep but doesn't KEEP you asleep all night, there are other similar benzo's that have longer half lives that would work better for you...example, Klonopin.  In that case, it will take longer to put you to sleep but keep you asleep longer so you take it an hour before bedtime.

Talk to your doc...

• Posted

Thanks for the well informed advise and I'm seeing my consultant tomorrow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.