Getting more active

Posted , 3 users are following.

i am on day 16 and have been elevating foot as much as possible after scarf osteotomy . Stitches came out yesterday. At what point can I start moving about  keeping my foot down a bit more. Maybe going out for lunch or getting a mobility scooter in asda? Wound looks fine no sign of infection. I'm in a wedge boot till 6 weeks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Glad to hear your wound looks good and no more stitches.

I'd been told I could gradually increase the amount of being up and about. As I was unsure what gradual meant, I phoned the physio department and was told that I could increase by five minutes in the hour every two to three days but to cut back if it was too much. In practice, I found that my foot quickly told me if it was time to sit, so I probably did no more than two to five minutes or so several times an hour. I saw the consultant at 7 weeks and he said to walk no longer than 10 minutes at a time and to not stand for too long so I felt fine about the amount I'd been up til then, even though other people seem to do more ( but that was after having a pin removed, so your case could well be different). I think generally the advice would be to take it gently and slowly and keep elevating in between.

As to getting out and about, apart from hospital visits I waited til about 3 weeks and started with a trip out to the supermarket, staying in the car while my other half did the shopping. What a treat! Then a few trips out for coffee, with an extra chair to keep the foot raised. The mobility scooter sounds like a great idea. I didn't get pushed around in a wheelchair until the week I was having the pin out and wish I'd done it much sooner as I found that, even with a heel-walking shoe, walking was tough work and very hard on the top side of the ankle. You can actually focus on your surroundings/shopping if you're being pushed instead of focusing your efforts on walking.

Hope you enjoy having a bit more variety and seeing beyond the four walls.

• Posted

Thanks jaynie, looking forward to getting out for some fresh air! Finding walking difficult with the heel walking shoe. I got a trainer with a thick sole for the other foot and it helps but my hip and back are aching after a wee while.  I'll be 3 weeks since op on Monday but I may sneak out this weekend for a while. Really missing the xmas buildup in the shops.
    • Posted

😀that will be a real treat! The heel-walking shoe is literally a pain to walk in and didn't do my ankle any favours. I don't think it's designed to do anything more than get you about for what is necessary. I think I'd have been better off doing more exercises to keep things flexible rather than pushing myself to do more than 10 minute walks with it on - that's quite a bit of weight (no, not being personal about my or anyone's actual weight!) to put on a heel and ankle with the ankle at an unnatural position. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

What op did you have? You mention having pin taken out. I have 2 pins which are staying in. Thinking recovery will be different depending which op.
    • Posted

Scarf and Akin for bunion with a screw that stays put. I had the second toe straightened (fused I think) and that's where the pin was. Can't remember if it's called a k-pin or k-wire, either way it protrudes from end of toe so definitely has to come out! Great relief when it was removed on Friday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.