Getting my gallbladder removed! Very scared to be put under.

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I'm getting my gallbladder out in a week. I'm only 19 and this is the first time ever being put under. I'm very scared that I won't wake up and that something is going to go wrong in surgery. I just want to know what everyone's experience was and how they got over being scared? They're using the robot on me. So I'm very very scared. Please help.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had mine out in June. I've been under before, but there is always a bit of apprehension.

They gave me something to relax me before they wheeled me back into the OR. But everything went pretty smooth and everyone was amazing from the lady that registered to me to the discharge nurse the next morning. Everyone made me feel comfortable and relaxed the whole time and answered any questions I had. I also kept my mind off of what was going on by watching tv. The nurses and doctors were all very courteous and my pre op room never had more than one nurse/doctor in it at a time. I was pretty relaxed by the time I got into the or and they put me on the table and put a sedative in my Iv and put the mask over my nose and mouth and next thing I know, I was in recovery.

Just remember to stay calm, maybe take a book to read in pre op, and tell your nurses if you are starting to get worried or scared. They have probably seen thousands of people like you, who have never been under and are scared.

Good luck and hope you have a quick recovery.

• Posted

I have had several experiences of being "put under" and it has never entered my mind that I would not wake up, no more than when I board a plane twice a month  I never consider that I am not going to walk off at the other end.

Please relax.  Yu will be fine.

• Posted

Hi..I was lucky I had a scan then next thing the surgeon came to my room and told me I was having gallbladder out and that he would see me in the operating room in an hours time...so I didn't have any time to think about it! Like everything in life everything is scary for the first time,wether it's flying or trying new things it's normal to have fear...but like most things you find that afterwards you realise that "it wasn't that bad afterall "... In my experience in the anesthetic room I was given gas to inhale for 3 minutes before the injection in the hand that makes you sleep before you can count to 3 lol...the gas was to inflate insides to make op easier and didn't smell or taste of anything....it's all quick and painless and the next thing I remember is waking up on the ward feeling relaxed and a bit sleepy.... I would rather have an anesthetic than go on a rollercoaster lol...and now I wouldn't fear an anesthetic again as there really is nothing to it....come back and let us know how you get on...and don't spend the next few days worrying needlessly hunni x
  • Posted

You will be fine. Its a piece of cake. Think of it as a restful sleep!

• Posted

Kyra don't worry about being put under. I've benn put under 4 times for 4 different surgeries & everything was fine. Especially as young as you are. If you were a senior citizen then it could become a concern but not at your age.
  • Posted

don't worry. you will wake up I had the same fear I was fine. I don't about robot but the my surgeon made.4 tiny holes in my abdomine and inserted robotic pigpes to suck the gallbladder out

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.