Getting naltrexone

Posted , 7 users are following.

My addiction counsellor wont give me naltrexone for the Sinclair method. can I get it online? actually out of options. Campral was useless.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Campral is a placebo also sinclair method doesn't work you can't carry on drinking thinking your going to stop cut down maybe drink at wk ends it's all or nothing love iv chose nothing as I can't just have 1 drink I'm in my 7 wk sober today I ain't happy nor sad booze is an illusion it's worthless x

• Posted

Glad you are sober, midge007, but what utter rubbish about campral and the sinclair method.

There are many, many people on here who have found that campral worked well for them, and just as many that successfully used the sinclair method.

Campral is NOT a placebo pill and has been evidence-based to help unwind the changes in the brain that alcohol has made and therefore reduce cravings, when used correctly.

The Sinclair Method is also evidence-based in over 120 clinical trials and has a huge nearly 80% success rate when used correctly.

Putting out blanket statements about options that may not suit you, but are clinically proven ad has certainly worked for others on this very forum is just plain irresponsible.

• Posted

i think joanne has said what needed to be said, i know people who have used tsm and campral with great success. what works for one person may not for others,you could put people off

• Posted

What was her reason for this, Vicky?

• Posted

I was told that they don't prescribe naltrexone. That's basically all they said Joanna. going to try again thats all I can do. next step is rehab.

• Posted

If you wish to Vicky, please feel free to message me so I can do some more research for you. It's difficult to know what to suggest without knowing the area you live in, your drinking history, and which of the alcohol recovery organisations you were at.

Plus, information of whether you actually got to speak to a doctor or was this just your counsellor saying this?

• Posted

Hi Vicky,

I can relate to your helplessness. Is there a GP or PCP you can ask for the prescription? In the US, an addiction counselor - I am one - is not able to prescribe medicine.

I finally sought out an RX for Antabuse. It definitely works when I am clear that I don't want to drink. Problem for me is I still want to drink sometimes. I can control it sometimes but then if I drink more than a day in a row (even "normal" drinking - 2 servings of wine) leads me to want to drink again the next day and then it gets out of control. F****ng alcohol! I was cleaning my garage this evening and found the AA book and 12/12. I hate that program...I loathe the self-loathing that is the norm. Feeling helpless tonight.

• Posted

I'm on the same trail. The one counseling group who don't prescribe, is sending me to another who may be able to. I'll let you know if I'm successful and not just being hoofed around !Keep knocking on doors and asking.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.