Getting Off Amlodipine

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was put on beta blocker 2.5mg in late October 2017 due to high blood pressure. I suspected that the supplement which i took for nearly 2 weeks occasionally has spiked my bp because my bloodwork result were normal. While on bb, I was extremely tired, my left eyelid was swollen, anxiety, heart palpition and having brain fog, nightmares etc. I told my GP about the side effect but she told me it would go off when my body start to adjust. I monitored my bp frm home and presented the whole 2 weeks reading to her. My bp taken at home were always normal below 120/80 but when in GP's clinic it normally higher.

In early January 2018, i went to see another GP and showed him my daily reading. He told me to stop taking beta blocker and gave me amlodipine 2.5 mg to be taken every 3rd day. The purpose is to wean off my bp meds. As i am super sensitive to drugs, i have several side effects though not as bad as when i was on beta blocker.

Now i am off of amlo for 11 days and i am still not feeling so well. Today I am extremely weak and tired, having anxiety and palpition as well. My bp this morning is 104/76. Today i feel like i have no hope to succesfully get off amlodipine but i have to be strong. I dont want to swallow tht pills anymore. Hope i can make it!!

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi ann its my 21st day without med.. ive been in amlodipine 10 mg for a week and i experience horrible side effects so my dr lowered it to 5mg and added lozartan 50mg and it became more horrible. So what i did is i decided not to take the med for 2 days and i felt great so i continue not taking the med till today and im doin fine my bp range 110-125/70-90 i did dash diet low sodium and low sugar more fruits and water.i do brisk walking and i try playing basketball. Im now taking apple cider vinegar and i lose weight. Before when im taking those med i experience palpitation,leg cramps,dizzyness,blurry vision,anxious and depressed,chest pain numbness in arm and feet and fatigue feeling weak. But now since ive been off meds some off the side effects disappear except for headache and numbness of arm and feet and blurry vision. how long did you came back to your self and off with this side effect to you system?
    • Posted

Hi Anthony

Your BP readings are good even without BP med.

Side effects like tingling, brain fog, blurry vision, nightmares dissappear quite fast after stopping amlo. I didnt hv leg cramps after about 1 mth off amlo but to recover frm heart palpitations took me more than 4 months. Palpitations is the worst and the longest side effect which stayed in me. I am still in the recovering stage tho. I easily feel tired and still not 100% as i was before all this mess.

Lucky u for taking amlo for only 1 week. I took it for 3 mths and the side effects are making me really sick. I was like a zombie within tht 3 months. But then once i stopped there came one after another episodes of side effects which have made me feeling so low and worn out. I do believe it will heal through time. In your case, i dont think it will take long to recover.

U tkc.

Regards

Ann

• Posted

Hi ann hopenyour doin fine. I noticed that some of the side effect of tye meds is gradually fading except for the tingling or needle like pain in my hand and feet did you experience it too?
    • Posted

Hi Anthony

Yes i did feel the same way too but then after a while its gone.

Im feeling a lot better and healthier now. I do sometimes feel extremely tired and just not sure how to overcome this despite taking some supplements.

I hope u r progressing well.

Tkc.

Rgds

Ann

• Posted

I started 5 mg of Amlodipine 11/30/2018 and lost consciousness/awareness while driving on 12/5/2018. I wasn't 100% sure the medication was the culprit but MAN the side effects got worse and worse day after day. I was exhausted all the time, had trouble thinking, blurred vision, and trouble waking up. To boot, my blood pressure wasn't even that much better 140/90! Today is my second day off Amlodipine, it feels awful. I've heard it takes 10 to 11 days to get the drug out of the body. This is going to be a painful week...

• Posted

Dear Anna

I am sorry to hear about the accident. Are you ok ?

Honestly from the day i took the bp meds i didn't drive at all because I felt so weak, cannot focus and I wasn't quite myself. It took me 7 months (after i quit taking amlo) to be back on my feet again and feel much healthier. Now I drive as usual.

Did u talk to your GP about stopping yr bp meds?

During 7 months of my recovery period, i did brisk walking few times a week, when i felt i have more energy, i then went for swimming. It was not easy, but in order to live freely without medication, I have to do that. I take some supplements too.

Its gonna take a while for you to recover. Definitely not an easy journey. You will make it.

You take care.

Regards

ann

• Posted

Sorry I posted twice about this - oops! Me and my car passenger are just bruised after the accident. I only drove that night because I had to rush my cat to the hospital. Day 2 off is a bit more bearable. Did you notice that if you got more sleep, side effects were better?

• Posted

I am having a horrible time getting off Amlodipine. I've had almost every side effect and was in a bad car accident. This drug is HORRIBLE.

• Posted

HI Ann...I really hope that you and all the others on here are feeling much better by now...as i am chirping in almost 2 years later. ive been on almodipine for just 26 days and want off of it. IM

SO SCARED. IVe put a message into my doc and i will call my pharmacist...dont knkw if i have to wean or not. I'm on 5 mg almodipine with INDEROL 60mg. i have neen in heat or ice all day long for days now...i have osteoarthritis, degenerative disc disease an d fibro...was on lain meds for 7 years..went off of them NOVEMBER 13 which started this blood pressure problem. i never had high blood oressure. I'm 62 and between my ormal pain and more pain that i believe almodipine is causing...i feel like im dying. i have funny feelings in my head, as well...i dont know if that is brain fog thst i see mentioned on here. i also havent driven since this blood pressure deal started. OCTOBER 5, i had to pull off the road for an hour..i was weaning off the pain meds...thoughtbi was having a strok or heart attack...i now believe itwas the blood pressure hiking. i hope to get some responses from some of you, IM

SCARED. i wish you and all others in her the best. i hate all these pills and sude effects. THANK YOU, SANDRA

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.