Getting off Benzos, Venlafaxine

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking 5 mg of oxazepam, a benzo, for maybe 15-20 years, at night. It was originaly prescribed for restless leg syndrome. I was also recently taking Effexor for about six months, but tapered off it VERY slowly and took my last dose in May. After a couple of months of feeling good, I hit a wall -- was so depressed for a couple of months that I hardly left the house. I am now taking Luvox, another SSRI, and I was doing pretty well until recently, when I've started having what feel like withdrawal symptoms -- severe anxiety, crying bouts, general misery. Does anyone have any ideas? Could it still be the Venlafaxine working its way out of my system? Or something to do with the Benzos?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think that all SSRI's are toxic.  When I went thru my Zoloft experience, I found that hundreds of people went thru the same hell as I did.  The worst was the brain zaps and the body tremors.  I think that everyone should do medical research on any drug they are taking.  As soon as I see SSRI in a comment, I already know what people are going through.  I have been on anti-depressants for 23 years.  NEVER will I subject my body to an SSRI drug.  

• Posted

I quit venlafaxine cold turkey and went into virtual psychosis with paranoia, severe anxiety, intrusive thoughts, this was 7 weeks ago and I'm only just starting to feel better. I was crying 24/7 too. The doctors told me at the beginning that it would only last a couple of weeks, so to be honest I think their knowledge of venlafaxine is limited and the process of it being eliminated from the body can be long. I wouldn't rule out that it is the ven and your brain adjusting to not having the drug anymore, but no one can be sure, they just sound like symptoms I had. Take care.

• Posted

Thanks. Really hate feeling this way. Trying to hang in. You take good care too.
  • Posted

Hi. Sorry for what you are going through. You have taken a mix of things so it won't be easy to figure out what is driving this. Can you share a clearer timeline of what you took, how much and for how long and how soon you started the other etc.? Additionally you mention taking Effexor for 6 months and tapering off very slowly. How slowly is that?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.