Getting off citalopram - how I did it.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just remembered this website from a few years back!

I just wanted to do a catch up with anyone who is desperately trying to get off Citalopram. Just to let everyone know, you can get off it! It will likely be very difficult with all sorts of horrible symptoms along the way, but you really have to dig deep and search your soul for strength, knowing that you are going in the right direction.

I was on it for years. It was only by chance (or divine intervention) that I got a new doctor who worked with me over many, many months and first let me know about Cipramil Drops. My previous doctor was trying the same old advice most doctors give, alternate between doses over a week or two and you'll soon be off it! (ridiculous, unrealistic, dangerous and useless advice) . I'm sure there will be some who just come off it with ease, but citalopram is a very powerful drug and many find it almost impossible to get off. When you've been on citalopram for many months or years, your body becomes reliant on it. I'd tried many times and failed with the tablets. It was only when I changed to the drops I was able to reduce the doses so gradually, that it was possible to get off it. I eventually got down to 2mg per day, and then I started to make a glass with markers on the side. A full glass of water with 1 drop was 2mg. I divided glass into 10 equal markers. I then spent months reducing down 1 marker per week. Eventually I came off altogether.....that was 3 years ago. I've since turned to meditation and Buddhism as a way to calm the mind, which has much longer and healthier lasting effects than daily tablets.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

hi mate

great reading, its so good to read a story like this........gives people hope.

• Posted

Hi Rob,

Thanks for very much your reply, it means a lot, if just one person has seen my post.

Yes this is the only reason I came back onto the forum after such a long time. It was a dark time for me, but having come through it, I really wanted to let people know that firstly, I do understand completely what they are going through, from first hand experience and secondly, you can get off citalopram, with shear grit, determination and very gradual withdrawal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.