Getting off of meds - help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Okay so I've been taking a very low dose of klonopin (.25mg a day) for a few months now. Maybe 3-3.5 months at the most. By personal choice and the fact that I'm also about to lose my health insurance (I have Medicaid right now but no longer qualify, I'll be talking to a social worker at my doc office to see if I can qualify for help with health insurance) it's time to get off the klonopin. Well that and because you obviously shouldn't be on benzos daily for a long time. ANYWAYS lol I spoke with my doc about a tapering plan - I know I'm on a super tiny dose but I want to be as safe as possible and make sure there's little to no withdrawal effects - and she didn't really provide a clear cut one. So I spoke with my friend that works in the pharmacy and he also spoke with the head pharmacist that's been there for like 20 years and she said this

"if she wants to go fast, just have her take 1/2 tab daily for 2 weeks, then stop. If she wants to go slow, 1/2 tab daily for 2 weeks, then 1/4 daily for 2 weeks, then stop. She's not taking that high of a dose to worry about withdrawals"

Does this sound like a good tapering plan? I would think that I'd have to in the end take them like every day then every other day then every three days etc

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I think the tapering down to the 1/4 then taking every other day then every two days etc would work well.
    • Posted

So like half of the .25 for two weeks then half of .25 every other day for two weeks?
  • Posted

Get an extra prescription before your insurance runs out
    • Posted

You could even have the dr. Call it in at a hughr dose. You can try that or as a klonopin wafer is the half of .o25 dose and or larger dose and break the pill to the dose you use. Then youd have two extra bottles to tapper slowly.
    • Posted

the wafer would be a different perscription hopefully accepted. Giving you a lot of room to taper slowly.
    • Posted

I have enough. I have about 40 .5 mg pills which is more than enough to taper over the course of 4 weeks especially with the minuscule doses im taking. I could probably just quit but won't because you shouldn't quit them cold turkey ever

• Posted

Dont cold turkey i have done  this wean about 22years ago. When it first was being used, do the taper. Much better to taper slow. I did it too fast. Im here and im fine but i ran into a two week period of hell. I didnt wean much they didnt know. But even as i did i was fine in a month just had a really bad two weeks time period. So if yiu taler slowly youll be perfect and thats so much better. But youll need good self calming skills and something alternative to have to fall back on if the anxiety returns. It might not you never know. 
    • Posted

I'm not, I already stated that lol. I would never. I think 4 weeks is a slow enough taper for only taking .25 mgs a day. That's it. And that's a tiny dose. Now this would be different if I was taking like 2 mgs a day for months but I think the plan I have is a good one. I'm just ready to be off.

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

A lot of research has been done on this topic and I would advise googling the 'Ashton manual', which describes the most feasible withdrawal strategies. In your case it would make sense to switch from 0.25 mg klonopin to 5 mg of diazepam and then reduce the dose to ½ tablet (2.5 mg) after a week. After 2 more weeks you could try to quit (or take 1/4 tablet, if needed).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.