Getting off painkillers.

Posted , 10 users are following.

Is it possible to come completely off painkillers eventually.

When I was discharged on 6th January this year I was on 2 codeine 4 times a day and the same with paracetamol.

In discussion with my GP I've reduced the codeine to 1 four times a day but continue the paracetamol as usual.

It would be lovely not to rely on medication.

Also does anyone take any supplements e.g cod liver oil or glucosamine.

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

How are your pain levels now, yes you will definitely come off the meds when your body is ready, ie when your pain free, I'm on adcal-3 its a vitamin d and calcium supplement and helps healing which is really important after and form of bone surgery.

Don't try to rush things its early days and it is a slow process and you need to remember that

• Posted

I'm virtually pain free now so am aiming to be off pain meds at 12 weeks.

That's interesting that you take the calcium. I was taking it before the op to strengthen my bones but after the op my surgeon said my op was harder to do as there had been a lot of ossification around the joint. I assumed that this was because of a build up of calcium due to the supplement I'd been taking . So since then I've stopped taking it.

• Posted

Take the calcium  if you don't have it in your diet! It has nothing to do with ossification. That is caused by your body trying to repair damaged bone. A natural process that happens all the time. And which needs calcium! The calcium doesn't run off from the supplement and form a gathering in one place cheesygrin !!!!! The degree of ossification is related to the amount of damage and the length of time a bone had been damaged. Atypical ossification is the result of complex factors, none of which are taking calcium supplements. On the other hand, you'd really like a lot of ossification after a hip surgery - it's what creates the solid hold on the spare parts you have now!

• Posted

Thanks for explaining about ossification Beth. I do get a lot of calcium in my diet e.g I love cheese, milk and Greek style plain yogurt .
  • Posted

The opioid induced constipation, on top of my IBS constipation was more than enough incentive for me to reduce my percocet dosage. I began the reduce to 1/2 dose during the day and 1 pill at bedtime. Once that worked I went to the extra strength Tylenol during the day and maintain 1 percolating at night. That hasaid worked for me. The sleeping on my back is so uncomfortable and with my tinnitus, it seems to be the onlybway to achieve some sleep at night. I believe once I am able to again sleep on my side, if not sooner, I will be off the percolating. I am now day 25 and feeling ever so grateful for the surgery and my recuperation progress to date.

Good luck,

Kristen

• Posted

Hi there

I took Tylenol up u til about a month ago. No narcotics 2 days after op. I'm not quite 3 months. I take magnesium at night. That helps relax the muscles. And I take serrapeptase which is used in Europe to reduce inflammation and reduce pain. Natural supplements. And vitamin E. Good luck. We all have different experiences.

Susan

• Posted

Hi ,i wouldn't go off the medication so soon

I took medications for 14 weeks ans still take some if is hip hurts.

My surgeon told me not to take glucosamine at all. Just be mobile , drink lots of water ,eat lots of fruits an good food. Good luck with recovery.

Hug Madla💗.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.