Getting off PPI medication

Posted , 8 users are following.

can anyone tell me if they have managed taking PPI MEDICATION BY SWOPPING TO ZANTAC IM FED UP WITH HAVING TO TAKE THEM MY BONES ARE THINNING ARE IN PAIN IN ALL MY JOINTS I KNOW ITS THE PPI S DOING THIS

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I was only on them for a few months but they upset my IBS so had to come off them. If I remember I reduced them down but probably not slowly enough. I had a month of bloating etc but then I did have ibs. I take ranatidine now but that is for a different reason. My husband took them for years 2Omg as a stomach protector when take ibuprofen for pain. When he came off them he think he went to every other day and then down to 10mg when he eventually came off he did have some digestive problems and is now on ranitidine for duodentis ask your gp for advice. Hope this helps. Just take it slowly.

• Posted

meant to say think you can introduce ranitidine as you reduce the dose until all you are on is ranitidine.

• Posted

I was on Omeprazole 20 mg for years. I tried tapering off by taking the omeprazole every other day and using Zantac 150 on the other days, but the rebound acid was too much. I ultimately made major changes in my diet and then my doctor prescribed Omeprazole powder to help me taper down. The powder comes in 2.5mg packets. I started by taking 10mg of omeprazole per day for a while (4 packets), then tapered down to 3 packets, then down to 2, then 1, then finally got off Omeprazole. I now use Zantac 150 instead. I found using the Omeprazole powder to taper down was the way to go.

• Posted

Gillian-- I want to share something else that I just tried and works well. It's a calcium mineral supplement called Prelief that reduces the acidity of various foods and drinks. It's not medicine...just calcium glycerophosphate, so it's good for bone health as well. It's sold over the counter. I purchased some from the drugstore today. I took it, then had a cup of coffee....something that always gives me heartburn and surprisingly I had no heartburn afterwards, so I decided to take another risk with dinner.... took the Prelief and had Mexican food (fajitas and chips/salsa.) I was fully expecting to get heartburn from that meal but didn't. I'm hoping this continues with the Prelief. I'm totally off PPI's now and still use ranitidine.....but I have not used ranitidine today because I wanted to see how well the Prelief would work. Just thought I'd share!

• Posted

thank you for that i will look AND See if i can purchase that here in the UK IM GLAD YOUVE FOUND SOMTHING THAT WORKS

• Posted

Hi Gillian I had to come off my omeprazole as I have a scope in 2 weeks I was in quite a bit of panic as I thought oh no the reflux is going to be at its worst but I can honestly say since taking ranitidone 150g in morning and at night I feel so much better than I did taking omeprazole. But I think when I go back for scope they will put me back on them as I think I have damage to my osophegus . Omeprazole heals ranitidine doesn't.

Trial and error I would weenween yourself off them slowly and see how you go...

• Posted

Gillian, not sure where you are located but I was on every form of PPI medication since I was 18 and it wasn't until I was in my late 20's where I noticed that I was getting bad pain in my joints and bones and that is when I did my own research and realized that my DR's were not telling me the truth about PPI meds. I live in Pittsburgh PA and I did research on a fairly new procedure that is effective from the first day you get it but you have to be approved to have the procedure done. It is called Linx and I can honestly say I had the surgery done 3 years ago when I was 30 and I have not taken a single PPI pill since. I am not as sore anymore and that is because my body is able to obtain the calicum I need instead of the PPI's depriving me of it. Do you and your body a favor and please look into it. All dr's want to do is put a band aid on the issue instead of figuring out what is wrong and why you are getting the reflux.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.