Getting off Tramadol 150mg to using Gabapentin 300mg

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I know many of you on here anyway, and I'm not your average case and have multiple disorders to contend with.

Now, I suffer from Epilepsy and Functional Episodes, and being on a mixture of Tramadol and Amitriptyline, is not a combination that should of been allowed, but it prescribed before I realized what would really happen on these tablets.

I do have other medications for seizures but they are in sealed containers and only to be used during a seizure. I attended a pain management clinic who suggested I take 4 paracetamol a day and then bring in Gabapentin at 300mg a day then increase 600Mg a day. This is a partial relief of coming off of Tramadol at 150mg which is taken at 3 times a day. 

Gabapentin I have been told to take 3 x 100mg a day for two weeks, then increase to 3 x 200mg a day.

What I would like to know has anyone else tried Gabapentin to get off Tramadol before, and if so was it easy?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Dear Disbaled Les

Firstly, change your username - you call yourself "disabled" - the more you say that, the more you'll think that! I have Cerebral Palsy - just have a "condition - like it or lump  it!"

RE: Amatryptylin - I was given that 12 years ago for Depression - NOT pain relief!

RE: Tramadol - as I've said in many of my posts, it is a Narcotic and you obviously weren't warned about the side effect and the WD's.

RE: See another doctor!

RE: Gapapentin - I take Pregablin - 50mgs a night for my back.

I really think you need to either see your GP again OR see another one!

We're all rooting for you! Hang in there!

Zoe1976 x

• Posted

Hi Zoe,

Thanks for  the reply, much appreciated! [smile]

Well, I have been asked to change my username before, that is new to me. I am disabled in many ways, firstly Epilepsy and Focal Episodes (28 variations) are just part of my main disorder, but all nerve related in one way or another to Generalized Dystonia, initially Focal Segmental Dystonia. Well, I used to be like anyone else in the street, until an accident when I was 22, I'm now 51 and gradually getting worse over the years. So, my main condition was Dystonic anyway, finding out the correcct one was another matter, and at the time there was only 7 known cases in the UK. Apart from having cancer, nearly dying twice from gangrene in my intestines, I am not that bad..well, to a degree. I can't walk, write, or do most normal things, I cannot even wheel myself in a manual wheelchair. I am on over 40+ tablets a day, 5 BoTox Injections every 10 weeks and thats another trip to the Neurologist!

Okay, the tablet issue, firstly the doctor that put me on Tramadol and Amatryptylin was not my own doctor, it was a locum, because I was in so much pain. Even now the Tramadol only just takes the edge off the pain at night and morning, basically I was prescribed both of them to stop the pain and aid sleep, from my neck, spine, shoulder and left arm. The Pain Management Clinic was suggested by my Neurologist after hee seen what I been prescribed, that was back last year. It took 2 months just to get in the Pain Clinic. Then today my own doctor was giving me the tablets that I need to be weened on to Gabapentin, 3 for 1 week then 2 for the 2nd 2 weeks, then make another appointment to see her and bring Pregablin next, but still to include 8 paracetamol a day. It still takes me 45-60 minutes to get dressed and out of bed, all my muscles tighten and spasm, in my legs, so cramps are another problem I have to deal with. Tell ya, what! Where can I get a new body from?? my life easier! lol

That's all I know, the Amatryptylin they are trying to remove as well, because of the side effects.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

sounds like your doc is working for you. pregabalin is often found more effective for pain than gabap, but can have for side effects. they are very similar. not much i can say to help you, other than try to stay consistent with the pain clinic doc and your GP, and try not get shunted to the nurses at the pain clinic. As for calling yourself disabled, sounds like you are...so why not say it. There is no shame in being disabled - but I must add, I take my hat off to you for bravery. All the best for your journey of meds. tramadol is not an evil drug - it is very effective for pain. Why are they taking you off it if you are coming off the amitrip anyway? Tramadol with paractemol is really good for pain issues that are not going to go away. 
    • Posted

Tramadol, in my case could cause an Epileptic seizure or a Functional Episode. The only thing I find with Tramadol is sleeping in the day, but has I got used to them those effects seemed to have worn off.

Seizures, well I had one before Xmas 2014 - put pain can start a seizure with me, and at the time I had chronic chest pains, I was rushed from the doctors surgery to the hospital, blood tests showed an infection, the chest x-ray showed pleurisy - they upped my paracetamol for 2 weeks, which worked okay over the Christmas period!

I have never seen a nurse at the Pain Clinic, I was referred to by my Consultant Neurologist, whom is the main one at the hospital, he is the one with the final say in my case.

• Posted

Hi,I agree with most that you put, if not quite bluntly,amitrypline is for pain relief and depression amongst others as with nerve damage it's the first drug drs prescibe before others including gabapentin etc,I am taking amitriptyline for headaches.as with tramadol the drs don't often tell you the side affects and I've been on them for 17 years,yes it's a really sh*tty drug that people should be warned about and drs should take more care,I have come down in the last year from 400mg tramadol to 150mg hell all the way,I also took 4500mg gabapentin of which I am now on 2100mg,I live in Germany now and have heard so many times from the hospitals to the Gps here that " why am I on so many drugs", here they deal with the cause more then with meds ,a lot of the problem is pain clinics,mine put me on 4500mg gabapentin of which your body only deals with 3600mg max and gets rid of the rest? Its not all drs I know,the government putting a max on appointment times in the uk and here you leave the drs office when you've finished talking,and the waiting list for hospital is less, work that out,sorry to go on but I've spent 17 years hi and now want to come down 😀. Have a nice day it's bloody freezing here.
    • Posted

Hi Dave,

I am numerous drugs, but I have so many problems that require various drugs. Tramadol and Amitriptyline were prescribed to me by a locum, not my own Doctor, this caused major issues with all the tablets I was already on, and injections of BoTox every 10 weeks.

I am on what is called a Trial Personal Care Plan, basically I have preference over a standard person wanting to see a doctor.

Being on this means I can book and cancel Doctor appointments online. Order prescribed medications online and get them sent to any Pharmacy I am registered with on the electronic system, I can get them delivered as well, which is all free - I do have to sign for Class A & C Drugs which is normal at any Pharmacy.

4500mb of Gabapentin seems a lot to me, I'm only 300mg a day!

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi,this is my 4th day reducing tramadol by 50mg and I had a bad night but all in all good,when I woke up I thought my legs hurt so much I will go back to the normal dose but it was actually later when I felt better that I realised it was the withdrawal,basically I have over the years tried failed tried got there,it's easy to give up but if you can kick through it even if you have some paracetamol etc to help and always talk to someone (who cares or at least listens),I take also amitriptyline for tension headaches caused they think by gabapentin, I also have 2 wires in my spine attached to a 9 year battery in my arse cheek (a really powerfully tens machine that has a memory)I love talking about as not only is it cool but it reduces my pain of which in time reduces my meds,boots for migraines just a guess,take care 😀
  • Posted

I have no personal, prolonged experience with gabapentin. While there is some evidence that it can be effective for treatment of seizures, the success rate is rather low. It is frequently prescribed for many off-lable conditions, with these unapproved uses accounting for the vast majority of sales. For example, it has somehow become a frontline defense in the treatment of migraines, although there is no clinical evidence that it is effective at all. I feel it is something that many physicians prescribe when they don't know what else to do, and the patient expects something. I have also heard of patients having problems when discontinuing it.

Just my opinion, but I consider its use quackery.

• Posted

ive taken gabapentin 3600mg to 2100mg now for the last 15 years and suffer tension headaches and they say the cause is more than likley to be the gabapentin rebounding as in its is for migraines and headaches and this said has caused mine,but hey i need the gabapentin for servere nerve damage in my legs as its fantastic and saved my life,the 400mg tramadol i was also prescibed at the start is great to be off your face at the begginging but over the years just becomes part of me and hell to reduce,it was only when i came to germany two years ago that the drs said WHY so many pills,gave me a free scs op and life suddenly gets better,time to kick the tramadol to the kurb turn up my machine and live life outside that tramadol bubble.have a nice weekend.oh and if you know anyone who can sort the weather out its bloody freezing here.lol
  • Posted

I spent Chriatmas coming off pregabalin. It inceased the sensisitvity to pain, and tightened up all my muscles. Coming off (over 4 weeks) slowly relaxed all the problem muscles that cause me pain. Srill in pain but it is a lot more manageable. Using tramadol, for 2 years now, when the pain goes i will have to withdraw slowly. But i am mot fimding any side effects that comvern me

Watvh out for pregabalin, lots of stories out there about its bad effects

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, at the moment my doctor has stopped the change over, due to complications with IBS. And because the pain I have became worse she also changed that dosage to 200mg a day, but on a slow-release Tramadol.

I will look at Pregabalin before they ever bring them in.

Thanks for the info.

• Posted

Hiya am.currently taking gaberpentin as it's great for coming of tremadol it relaxes you a lot don't worry tremadol symptoms will only last week.or 2 so.stick.with it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.